ALONE Pt 1

Six months later, 

Location: Helena, Montana

The bus door squeaked open, and Jason stepped onto the sidewalk, alone. He passed tall, elegant houses with glass fronts and well-landscaped yards.

A rose-colored gravel walkway led Jason to a red-brick, two-story house. His breath caught in his throat just before he opened the glass front door. In the reflection, he thought he saw his mother in a white dress in the street behind him.

He jerked around as a stiff breeze sent rust-colored leaves twirling into the silent, empty street. An ache formed in his chest, and he struggled to think through the pain. With a deep breath, he forced his legs to move.

His uncle and aunt's Siamese cat crossed the hall but stopped when it saw him, and hissed. Through tears, Jason kicked at the cat and sent it scurrying away, hissing even more. He wiped at his eye with his sleeve.

"Don't kill the cat," Aunt Debbie called. Jason found her in the kitchen, stirring a cup of tea. The cat sat glaring at him with royal disdain.

"Well, he pees on my stuff every day! What does he expect?"

Aunt Debbie chuckled. "Sorry. He's still getting used to you. Tough day?"

He shrugged, letting his backpack slip onto the counter. "I just, " He paused, trying to think about what he was trying to express. What could he say? Why say anything?

He didn't want to say what he actually felt. If he talked about them, it became more real. And making it feel more real was the last thing he needed. But against his better judgment, words spilled out of his mouth. "I just see them, you know. Mom and Dad. Everywhere." He looked into her eyes, numbly. "Sometimes I feel they're so close I could touch them. It's just hard, I guess."

Aunt Debbie looked as if she didn't know what to say, nodded, and looked down at her cup.

After a long second, she said, "I think, you need a hobby. Why don't you get back into drama? I know you love doing it. And it wouldn't be a bad career idea to think about, either."

He shrugged. "Maybe."

Jason heard the front door open, and in another second, Uncle Max walked into the kitchen. Gray sideburns, a silver goatee, and frameless glasses graced the man's appearance. He smiled at Jason, making his weary face seem more wrinkled.

"Hey, buddy," he said in his baritone voice.

Jason smiled back. Uncle Max turned, then hugged and kissed Aunt Debbie.

"How are you, wifey?"

"Okay. How did you get through the meeting? I couldn't stand it, and I only had to stay for a few minutes."

"Well, it's what happens when you co-own a company."

Aunt Debbie shrugged. "I suppose." She stood and gave him another smooch. "I was telling Jason he should get back into acting. What do you think?"

Uncle Max looked at Jason and slowly nodded. "You are good, Jason. We've seen you perform. You should get back into it. You enjoy it, plus, I have some contacts in the film industry who are looking for young talent."

"Yeah, maybe. I just would like more time to get into the groove of things here."

Uncle Max walked to Jason and put an arm around him. "Fair enough. Let me know when you're ready, and I'll get things rolling." After dinner, Jason said good night and went to bed early.

***

The dream came the moment his head hit the pillow.

The monster hurried on. Its clawed feet clacked and scrapped on the dirty asphalt of the alley. A growl rippled and sent chills up Jason's spine.

Jason stood in the shadows, watching it race past him. He felt strangely in control and even felt aware that he was dreaming. This whole place couldn't be a dream. It felt too real, to crisp, and very, very vivid.

The beast, all shadows, all fang, and all fur, paused, back still turned.

"I feel you." Moving like a cat, it whirled around, and it's yellow eyes cut into Jason like knives.

"And I can see you." It snarled and lunged.