NIGHTMARE

Ericka's words still rung in his ears, as Jason pushed through the panicked group of doctors, nurses, and patients. He reached an intersection of four halls and caught sight of the exit. Jason stopped abruptly and almost slipped but caught himself on the wall. 

Agent Brown sprinted toward him, elbowing through crowds of people. Without hesitation, Jason hurried in his direction. Thank, God. The very essence of the man seemed to signify protection at this point.

"Jason put the gun down and wait for me!" Agent Brown shouted over the noise.

BANG!

The sound of another gunshot slammed into Jason's ears. He watched Brown convulse and fall just as another man who also looked like an agent rounded the corner, his gun drawn. Jason stopped. A sickening feeling jolted through his stomach.

The FBI agent knelt beside Brown, his gun aimed at Jason.

Crimson blood now pooled on the floor. Jason gasped, backing away.

"Stop!" the agent shouted.

"But I didn't—" BANG!

The agent fell.

BANG!

The bullet whistled past Jason's ear. He dropped the gun and found himself running, running through the crowds, toward the exit.

Jason burst through the open door; the bright sunlight blinding him for a moment. Men and women pushed past him, and he heard car doors slamming and engines starting. Jason looked back inside. He felt sure other FBI agents would be coming out any second.

PING!

Something put a dent in the car beside him. Jason ducked.

Stooping, he hurried through rows of parked cars.

PING!

There was only one thought in his mind now. Leave or die. Jason looked down for a moment. A tranquilizer dart lay on the asphalt.

Surprised, Jason turned and caught sight of a black truck pulling out. He made for it.

ZIP!

ZIP!

Darts flew from all directions. 

With a shout, he leaped. The sounds of shouting and someone calling his name echoed from the hospital's entrance. But the air roared in his ears, and I couldn't hear what they were saying.

ZIP!

A dart whizzed between his half-extended arm and his body.

UMPH!

He landed with a jerk and rolled into the truck bed. Above, darts shattered through the back window and clanged against the truck's metal frame. He cringed as they whizzed over him. The driver panicked, clearly not noticing Jason. The truck raced into the street, its engine roaring.