TRAINING UNDER PRESSURE

The fresh early morning air filled Jason's nostrils. He took a deep breath.

The smells of pine needles, aspen leaves, and wet grass came to him.

He sat on a wooden bench on the wraparound porch. He'd slipped out to think before anyone was awake. Relaxing, he gazed out into the forest.

He thought of the incidents of the day before and Leon and Samuel's conversation. It was too much to take in at once. 

ANO.

Superpowers. 

The FBI.

Jason shook his head and watched the horizon begin to glow. It all seemed so crazy it made Jason want to disbelieve it. But he'd seen and experienced every bit of it.

He blinked, and crimson rays suddenly burst from behind the horizon, danced among the aspens, and shone in his eyes. Birds sang. The branches of the trees swayed in the gentle breeze.

Mom and Dad would have loved this place, he thought.

Mom and Dad. He wanted them to be here so much it hurt. But he sat alone. And they were dead.

"I thought you had run away," a voice said.

Jason looked up, startled. Leon stood, shirtless, halfway through the open screen door. His blue eyes studied Jason.

"Well, I didn't." Jason did his best to smile but only partly succeeded.

Leon eyed Jason. "You okay?"

Jason looked down and tried to think of something to say. But nothing came. Leon sighed and stepped onto the porch. His naked feet padded on the hardwood planks. He sat on the bench beside Jason.

"I still don't understand why you are protecting me," Jason said.

"You don't have to understand."

Jason grunted. "That's what you say."

Leon didn't respond. Jason rolled his eyes and looked out into the forest. There wasn't much to be said.

"Why are you out here, kid?"

Jason didn't look at Leon. Hr tried not to show what he was feeling, tried to be strong. "I just wanted to get some air. That's all." Jason bit his lip. It was partly correct.

After a pause, Leon sighed. "You miss them, don't you?"

"Who?"

"Your parents. Who else?"

Jason cleared his throat uncomfortably. "What are we going to do today?" Jason felt Leon's eyes bore into the side of his skull.

The man's voice was even when he spoke. "It's obvious you have powers. We need to find out what kind."

Jason stared into the distance and nodded. With a sigh, he looked at his palms and traced the creases with his finger. Mom had said that everything and everyone was connected; you just had to trace the lines to see providence in ordinary things.

"Do you believe in God, Leon?"

"Which god are you talking about?"

"I mean the Christian one."

 "I—" Leon pinched his nose with his thumb and forefinger. "He's real; I know that." He shifted on the bench. "Look, kid, if there is anything I have learned about God, it's that He has a reason for everything. We don't know the reason why you're going through this yet, but you have a supernatural gift, and you need to learn how to use it."Leon grinned and slapped Jason's back. "Come on, let's figure you out."