Chapter Seventeen

"Can everyone see me?" Lockhart called. "Can you all hear me? Excellent!

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions...."

Harry sneered. "The man is senile."

"Which one?" Fred whispered, smirking.

"Dumbledore-" began George.

"-or Lockhart?" Fred finished.

"Either one."

"...my assistant, Professor Snape," Lockhart beamed. Harry almost cackled at the revolted look on Snape's face at the word 'assistant.' "He tells me he knows a tiny bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry ⎯ you'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

"The idiot should be more worried about himself," Harry snorted. Draco and the twins snickered, and Neville smiled weakly.

Lockhart and Snape turned to each other and bowed ⎯ well, Lockhart did, in an extremely theatrical way, while Snape just jerked his head, causing more snickers from his Slytherins. Then they both raised their wands.

"As you can see," Lockhart said brightly, "we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"I wouldn't bet on that," Draco smirked. Snape was giving Lockhart a look full of loathing.

"One ⎯ two ⎯ three-"

Before Lockhrat could even raise his wand, Snape bellowed, "Expelliarmus!" The Defense professor went flying off the stage. Instantly, all the Slytherins burst into applause. The twins cheered in glee, causing a fond smirk from Snape.

"Do you think he's all right?" Granger squeaked.

"Who cares?" Weasley demanded.

Lockhart staggered to his feet, blinking. "Well, there you have it!" he said dazedly, stumbling back onto the platform. "That was a Disarming Charm ⎯ as you can see, I've lost my wand ⎯ ah, thank you, Miss Brown ⎯ yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have only been too easy ⎯ however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see-" he balked at Snape's livid look and squeaked, "Enough demonstrating! I'm going to come amongst you now and put you all into pairs. Professor Snape, if you'd like to help me-"

Harry smirked as Snape reached Granger and Weasley first.

"Time to split up the dream team, I think," Snape purred. "Granger, you can partner Miss Bulstrode. Weasley-"
Weasley instantly moved towards Dean, who gave him a disgusted look.

"I don't think so," Snape said coldly. "Mr. Potter, come over here. Let's see what you can make of Weasley. Thomas, with Finnigan."

Harry walked over, smiling darkly, followed by Millicent, who only grunted when Granger gave her a weak smile. Weasley blanched when he saw Harry's malicious look.

"Face your partners!" Lockhart called. Harry grinned savagely when Weasley stumbled in doing so. "And bow!"

Harry dipped his head while Weasley just twitched once.

"Wands at the ready!" Lockhart said. "When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponents ⎯ only to disarm them ⎯ we don't want any accidents ⎯ one... two... three-"