Part Four | Captain Hook and Cinderella Moments

The night of the masquerade, Cassia was dragged to Gryffindor Tower by her friend Mari to get ready. In the Gryffindor dorms, she met Lily Evans, a muggleborn who had also been invited to the masquerade.

"So, Lily, what are you going as?" Cassia asked, applying mascara over green and gold eyeshadow. The redhead stood at her shoulder, using her wand to curl her hair. 

"A character from a muggle movie, Alice in Wonderland," she said, setting down the wand and picking up a makeup brush, "The Mad Hatter. What are you going as?"

"A faery. I let my brother choose," Cassia explained, looking at her hair, "Mari, short or long?"

The brunette witch stopped as she passed the bathroom, carrying her pirate's costume. Mari scrutinized her, tilting her head this way and that, "Long, just past your shoulders and wavy."

She nodded, her face screwing up slightly as her hair grew out to the right length. Lily gasped, nearly messing up her makeup. Cassia grinned at the older girl.

"Sorry, I should have warned you. I'm a Metamorphagus." 

"Oh,"  Lily said, returning to her makeup, "Is it fun? Being a Metamorphagus?" She watched as the younger girl fussed with her hair, a frown on her face.

"Try blonde," Lily suggested, "Like Marlene McKinnon's." Cassia did and nodded with satisfaction.

"Thanks. And yeah, it can be. Until people try to convince me to break up with their girlfriends or boyfriends for them. So I don't tell people much."

"Are you two ready yet?" Mari yelled, fully dressed and made-up. Cassia and Lily finished, setting their masks on. Cassia also fastened her wings.

"Coming."

~

They arrived at the masquerade at five minutes past 8, and most of the attendees were there as well. 

Professor Slughorn clapped his hands, dressed quite strangely as an armchair, and yelled over the noise, "Remember everyone, no taking off your masks until midnight, and no names either!"

Cassia glanced around her, grinning at the fabulous costumes. Many were muggle characters or magical creatures. Lily pointed out some of the muggle characters, naming who they were for the pureblood.

"There's a girl dressed as Alice from Alice In Wonderland, that boy is Peter Pan, and over there is Captain Hook, Peter Pan's nemesis." She gestured to one boy, dressed in a red coat with a white frilled collar and a tricorn hat. His mask was red with black shadows, and a skull embossed on the forehead. When he lifted a hand to adjust it, Cassia was startled to see it was a hook.

The boy Lily said was Peter Pan came over, a boyish grin under his green and gold mask. He leaned against the wall beside them.

"Are you Wendy, because I'll be your Peter Pan."

Lily groaned, and Cassia looked at her for an explanation.

"Wendy Darling is the main character from Peter Pan," Lily said, "Peter Pan's love interest."

Cassia wrinkled her nose at Peter.

"Okay, that was really lame." Peter shrugged, the grin never leaving his face.

"So? It'll never get old." Lily groaned, walking away.

"Another reference? Look, I've never seen Peter Pan. I'm a pureblood," Cassia told him, a smile on her face. He pouted.

"Aw, buzzkill." She laughed, and the smile was back.

"So, Peter, you're a Hufflepuff, aren't you?" Cassia asked, her wings fluttering slightly as someone swished by wearing a bat costume.