Part Five | Christmas and Catching Feelings

Cassia stepped off the train that winter break, waving goodbye to Rory and Mari and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Over the last few weeks, she'd been lengthening her hair so that it was up to her mother's standards for a proper young lady.

She had to stand on her tiptoes to find her family, peering over everybody's heads to try and find her parents. Short as she was, Cassia struggled a lot.

"What are you doing, love?" A low voice chuckled in her ear, and she spun around. Regulus smirked at her. She blushed slightly. He hadn't recognized her at the All Hallow's Masquerade, and she still wasn't sure if she was happy about that or not.

"I can't find my parents," Cassia shrugged, turning around to look again. Next thing she knew, she was being lifted into the air and sat on Regulus's shoulder. She squeaked, glaring down at him.

"What? I'm helping," He grinned lopsidedly, "Now, hurry up and find them before I drop you."

She tugged his ear with a grin, spotting them standing beside the exit to the muggle side of King's Cross Station. Reg set her down, groaning comically. 

"You need to give up the pastries, Pea." Cassia pushed him.

"You need to work out more. And I've told you not to call me Pea." 

"Regulus Arcturus Black, you did not comment on that girl's weight, did you? Apologize." A cold voice said from behind them. The pair whipped around, Regulus blushing furiously.

"I'm sorry if I offended you, Cassiopeia," he said stiffly, his eyes focused on the ground, "And may I introduce you to my mother, Walburga Black, and my father, Orion Black? Mother, Father, this is my Potions partner, Cassiopeia Hamilton."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mister and Missus Black," Cassia said with a smile. Walburga looked down her nose at her.

"Who are your parents, my dear?"

"My mother is Elladora Hamilton, nee Crouch, and my father is Benjamin Hamilton," Cassia caught the look on the woman's face and added, "The Hamiltons are purebloods from the States."

"Well, then," Walburga looked slightly surprised, "It was a pleasure, Miss Hamilton. Say goodbye, Regulus."

"Goodbye, Sweet Pea," Regulus said quietly, a smile creeping back onto his face. She stepped on his foot hard, and he winced.

"Goodbye, Regulus," she looked at the adults, "Goodbye, Mister and Missus Black." They nodded regally and Cassia took her leave. She weaved through the thinning crowd to where she had seen them from Regulus's shoulder.

"There you are, Cassia," her father boomed, a smile on his face as he hugged his daughter.

"Hello, Dad." He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, leading her back to her mother. Except, it wasn't just her mother. Beside her, wearing a mask, stood Leo.

Cassia ran forward, hugging her brother tightly. He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her just as tightly. 

"I'm home for Christmas!" He said, voice muffled against her sweater. She wiped some tears away and released him, hugging her mother as well. Elladora shrunk Cassia's trunk and tucked it into her pocket. The family left through the exit to the muggle side, finding a secluded street out of the way. Her father took out his wand, sticking it in the air.

In no time, a purple triple-decker had appeared in front of them and a fresh-out-of-Hogwarts kid stepped out.

"'Ello, there!" The boy said, "Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard! Just stick out your wand hand, step on board, and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Earl O'Gallagher, and I will be your conductor this afternoon.  Four of you? Three galleons, ten sickles, please. Unless you want to upgrade? A glass of lemonade, for thirteen sickles each."