Part Fifteen | Wild Boys and Wonderful Books

Cassia arrived at Platform 9 3/4 exactly two hours and seven minutes before the train was due to leave. This was due to the fact that Leo wanted to see her off, but had an appointment in seven minutes. And so, after saying goodbye to her family, she settled into one of the compartments to read.

With one hour and twenty-three minutes before the train left, her comfortable quiet was interrupted by a boy with wild hair and a hand that rubbed harshly on his forearm. Cassia raised an eyebrow when he flopped across from her.

"What are you doing here?" She glanced up over the pages of her book. The boy lay an arm over his eyes, before tilting his head to peer at her.

"Am I not allowed to wallow in my own self-pity, Cassia?" She snorted, pushing hair out of her face. As soon as he leaves, she thought, I'm going to shorten my hair.

"James, what could you possibly be pitying yourself for?" James Potter sighed dramatically, rubbing his arm again, "And what did you do to your arm?" Curiosity made her slip a bookmark between the pages of her book and set it to the side.

"I am pitying myself," he said, sitting up, "Because a certain redhead still won't go out with me."

There was an audible thump as Cassia's book met her forehead, "Really, Potter? And why did you come to me?"

"Because, well, because, " he stuttered, then paused, "Well, I don't know why."

"Then please leave," he turned to go, and her voice softened, "And James? You've been smothering her for seven years. Give her a bit of space, yeah?"

James nodded thoughtfully. Cassia could practically see the gears moving in his head, and she hoped she wouldn't be to blame if it went up in smoke. And so, she returned to her book.

~

With fifty-six minutes remaining, another boy with wild hair entered her compartment. Cassia smothered a sigh but slipped the bookmark back into the pages. The boy paced in front of her, running his hands through his dark curls.

"What can I do for you—"

"How did you do it? I've been thinking it over forever, and I still can't see how you did it!"

"Did what, Sirius?" Cassia watched the older boy, wondering what was bringing these boys to her. When had she ever had more than an argument about pranks with them?

"You got James to shut up about Evans!" He threw himself at her knees, putting on a begging face, "Teach me your ways!"

"I told him to leave her alone! That's all I said!" Sirius didn't listen.

"You managed to prank us and you got Prongs to shut up," he stared at her in amazement, "You must be some kind of witch!"

"And if you don't get out of her face, she'll show you what kind of witch she is," a voice drawled from the door. They both looked over at Regulus, who was leaning against the frame. Cassia laughed, while Sirius studied him sadly. Then the older Black stood and left, pausing for a moment to whisper in his ear. Regulus shook his head harshly, and Sirius left.

Cassia patted the spot beside her, and he took it, closing the door behind him. He leaned his head on her shoulder and she took his hand. To any outsider, they might have looked a couple, but to them, it was just... well, them.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked softly. He shook his head, "Can I see it?"

Regulus hesitated, then offered her his other arm. She took it, pushing back his sleeve until she could see the skull and serpent that marked his arm. He tensed as she traced the red flesh softly, sighing, "Oh, Regulus."

Then he was shaking, and Cassia held him, letting him soak her shirt. He's just a boy, she thought sadly, Just a boy asked to fight a man's war. And she held him a little tighter, ignoring the flutters in her chest. Because that's what friends do...

Right?

~

Dear Pea,

I'm back in St Mungo's. I had a bad reaction to the latest potion, but Healer Jennings said I'll be home for summer. What's happening at Hogwarts? Anything exciting? Any new pranks?  Are you and Regulus together yet? I've already won my bet against his brother! How's Teddy and Rory? Does Teddy like not being in school anymore?

Love you!
Bean

Cassia pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, a frown creasing her forehead. This was the third time Leo was in the hospital since Cassia had returned to Hogwarts in January. She couldn't help the sinking in her stomach or the little voice that whispered the worst.

"He'll be fine," she whispered to herself, staring out at the rainy day, "He will be just fine."

~

Dear Bean,

That sucks, bud! I'm sure you'll be out in no time though! Rory and Teddy say you need to feel better soon. Teddy also said to warn you about a package. He likes his job, and says there's even a little bookshop that he wants to take you to soon!

 As for Hogwarts, it's a bit insane right now. The Gryffindors are in some sort of House Prank War, and as you can bet, the Marauders are at the heart of it. Although, there was a third-year who had an absolutely smashing prank!  She managed to encase the boys in jello while they were sleeping (with an enchantment so they could breathe)! She did some other things too, but that one got the school talking.

And what have I told you about my love life, my little blackbird? Huh? To stay out of it! Whether or not Regulus and I are together or will ever be together is none of your concern! 

Love always,
Pea

~

Regulus lay with his head in Cassia's lap, watching her through half-closed eyes as she read a story out loud. He couldn't help but notice a stray eyelash on her cheek, and his hand itched to wipe it away. As her story came to an end, Cassia looked down at him, ruffling his hair gently.

"Hey, Sweet Pea?" he asked softly. She hummed in response, leaning back against the tree. The sun flitted in patches over the ground as a breeze played with her hair.

"Can I ask you something?"