Part Twenty One | Sweet Pea and Stupid Proposals

Cassia sighed as she stepped through the door, cradling her arm to her chest. The latest mission had been a doozy, with half the Order members coming back injured. She'd gotten off fairly lightly, with only couple bruises and a broken arm that Molly Weasley had splinted.

"Hey, Rey. I'm—" she stopped in her tracks, eyes wide at what was in front of her. The entire apartment was lit by candles and fairy lights, and a bouquet of blue roses sat on the coffee table. "What in the world?"

Regulus came from the kitchen, carrying two glasses of wine, which he nearly dropped when he saw her. He set them down, pulling his wand from his bun.

"What the bloody hell happened?" He guided her to the couch, examining her arm, "Does no one know how to heal bones?"

"I was one of the lucky ones, Rey. I passed up healing so that the others would be able to go home for dinner," Cassia smiled, kissing his forehead, "Besides, I've got you... OW!"

He had used a spell to set and heal the bone. "Sorry, Sweet Pea." 

She shrugged, flexing her arm, "Thanks, love. Your hair is a mess, by the way."

Regulus had turned his attention to her bruises, "Your life's a mess."

Cassia moved so that she was sitting in his lap, her forehead leaning against his, "But you're my life."

"Okay, really?" He looped his arms around her waist, rolling his eyes. Cassia giggled.

"Yes, really." She kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He smiled against her lips, drawing her closer. Cassia pulled back, motioning around them.

"So what's all this for?" 

He drew back, a hurt expression in his face, "You don't remember?"

"Uh..." she panicked, going through every important date in their history. Anniversary? No, that was in May. His birthday? No, that was June. Her birthday? Nope, January. So, what...

The panic must have been clear on her face, or at least in her hair, because he began laughing, "Relax, Sweet Pea. I'm not allowed to spoil my girlfriend every once in a while?"

She slapped his arm, "Regulus Arcturus Black, don't scare me like that!"

He held his hands up in surrender, "Okay, okay! I'm sorry!"

"Better be," Cassia slid from his lap, picking up the wine glasses and offering one to him, "I love you, Rey."

He kissed her again, "Love you too, Pea."

~

Regulus looked down, chuckling when he realised she had fallen asleep, curled into his side. He scooped her up, and she tucked her head against his shoulder. Carefully, he carried her into the bedroom, tucking her under the blankets.

"I'd do this while you're awake, Sweet Pea," Regulus opened a little box, revealing a silver and sapphire band, "But I am absolutely terrified of what you'll say."

He slipped the band onto her finger, turned over, and tried to go sleep.

~

She didn't notice right away, that ring that sparkled on her finger. Cassia went about her morning as normal, oblivious to how Regulus was watching her. There was a mixture of amusement and worry in his eyes as he followed her around the kitchen.

He was amazed at her obliviousness as she got dressed, brushed her teeth, and applied her makeup without noticing the ring. He thought about pointing it out, but eventually decided to just see how long it would take.

"I'll see you later, love," she kissed him on the cheek, disappearing out the door. Regulus shook his head; for such a clever witch, she really isn't very observant.

~

"Hiya, Marisa! Hi, Geo!" Cassia cooed to her friend's kid, who laughed. Marisa had shown her around back in first year, and the two had stayed in touch long after Marisa had graduated.

"Can you do the face?" Geo asked, leaning from his mum's arms to Cassia. She obliged, morphing her face into a duck bill. The little boy laughed hysterically.

"Merlin's beard, Cassia!" Marisa exclaimed, staring at her friend in shock, "When did this happen? Why didn't you tell me?"

Cassia shifted Geo, "What are you on about, Risa?"

"Um, this!" Marisa grabbed her hand, holding it in front of Cassia's face so that she plainly saw the ring. Cassia nearly dropped Geo, instead setting him on the counter.

"I... I don't know." She moved the ring around, then groaned, "I know what he did. Rain check on lunch?"

Marisa nodded, picking up her son, "I better get a full report, Miss Hamilton. Or should I say Mrs Black?" She winked.

Cassia stuck her head in the office, catching her boss's attention, "I'm going on lunch."

He nodded, fluttering a hand at her. She disapparated on the spot.

~

"REGULUS ARCTURUS BLACK!" Cassia had come straight home, because this was one of the few days he didn't need to go anywhere. The man in question appeared from the kitchen, a sheepish look on his face.

"I was wondering how long it would take for you to reali—" He was cut off as she threw her arms around him, pressing her lips to his. Stumbling back into the couch, he laughed, wrapping his arms around her.

"Is that a yes?"

She smacked him across the chest, "It's a 'you're a bloody idiot, Regulus'. What, did you slip it on while I was sleeping?" His grin was answer enough, and she hit him again, "Bloody wanker. I didn't even notice it til Marisa came into the shop and caused a fuss!"

Regulus laughed, kissing her again. She melted into him, her fingers tangling in his hair.

"You should know I told my mum I was planning to propose, and she told yours," he said when they broke apart, "They've already set a date."

She gently banged her head against his chest, "Of course they have."

He kissed her temple, "I love you, Sweet Pea. To the stars and back."

A smile greeted him when he looked down again, "To the stars and back."