Part Nine | Blackbirds and Brothers

The rest of the school year went by in a flash. Cassia's exams went well (she'd gotten four Outstandings, and two Exceeds Expectations). She and Regulus didn't talk about that night after the run-in with Warrington. But somehow, every time Warrington approached her, Regulus was there to lead her away.

And then it was summer, and Cassia's hair was long again. She visited her grandparents in the States, her aunt in France, and her brother at St. Mungo's. Her mother taught her how to run an estate and her father gave her books to read. Teddy, Rory, and Mari dragged her from the house at least once a week.

It was one day in late July that she brought Teddy and Rory to meet Leo. They brought gifts for him, books and games for him to play.

"Hi, Bean." Cassia pushed open the door, leading the boys into the room. Leo was buried under a pile of pillows and blankets, "You feeling okay?"

"Mx Jennings says it's just a cold." Cassia smiled sympathetically.

"I'm sorry, Bean. Do you want us to come back later?"

"No!" Leo reached for his sister's hand. She sat beside him, motioning for Teddy and Rory to take the chairs.

"Leo, these are my friends Teddy and Rory. Guys, this is my brother, Leo." 

He brightened, leaning forward out of his mountain, "You're the one who plays violin, right?"

"Yup," Rory held up the case. He'd brought it with him at Cassia's request, after she'd made sure it was alright with Healer Jennings.

"Can you play 'Blackbird'?" Leo's eyes glimmered. Rory grinned, pulling out the instrument. 

"You're sure the healer's alright with this?" Teddy asked quietly as Rory began to play. Cassia nodded, watching her brother.

"Healer Jennings has a soft spot for Leo," she told him, "Almost anything that will make him smile, she approves." They listened to Rory play, and Cassia recognised the verse, she began singing softly, hugging her brother.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night,
Take these broken wings and learn to fly."

Leo leaned into her side, his eyes focused on Rory.

"All your life
You've been waiting for this moment to arise,"
 As she finished singing, Healer Jennings entered the room.

"Oh, hello, Cassia. That was lovely. I'm just here to give Leo his potion." Leo burrowed into his pillows.

"Fight me." Leo blocked his face with a pillow. Healer Jennings just pushed the pillows aside.

"Honestly, Leo. This will make you feel better." She handed him the vial, but he still pouted.

"Leo Octavius Hamilton, if you don't drink that potion right now, I will not hesitate to tickle you." Cassia grinned victoriously when Leo immediately knocked it back, "There, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

"Not as bad as my middle name," he muttered, handing back the vial. Cassia kissed his head.

"Octavius is a fine name," Healer Jennings said, "Now, you'd best get some sleep, young man."

~

"Sirius Orion Black, don't talk to your mother in that tone." Regulus sighed, trying to block out yet another fight. By his count, this was the 53rd fight since he had returned home. Not a day went by where his brother wasn't at odds with their parents.

"She may have given birth to me but she's not my mother!" Oh, Sirius, Regulus shook his head. There was one response Walburga Black gave to an insult.

"Crucio." Screams filled the house, and Regulus turned over, burying his face into the pillow. Just ignore it, he thought, It won't help if you interfere. But one small, traitorous part of his mind whispered, He would for you.

"Honestly, Sirius, what has gotten into you? First being placed into," Regulus could picture the sneer on his mother's face, "Gryffindor, then all those detentions. You used to be such a good son, a model citizen."

"Because you brainwashed me!" Regulus groaned. Again with this.

"We have done no such thing!" There was the smack of skin against skin, and Regulus knew that his mother had hit him, "If anyone's brainwashed you, it was that filthy Potter boy, the mudblood lover." 

"DON'T INSULT HIM!"

"No son of mine raises his tone at his mother!" 

"I'm not your son!" Regulus heard Sirius running up the stairs, slamming his door open. Regulus stood, going to his door and leaning against the frame. His brother came out with a hastily packed trunk and Regulus felt a lump in his throat. Somehow, he knew, he'd never see his brother again.

"Come with me, Reg," Sirius whispered, staring at his brother, "This house is bad for you."

"No, Sirius," Regulus pulled up the mask, so that he wouldn't see how close he was to saying yes, "I owe it to the Black name to be the good son."

"You don't, Reg. The Black name doesn't deserve you. You're better than this," Sirius glanced at the stairs, "The Potters would accept you too."

"I doubt they would accept a Death Eater." With that, Regulus stepped back into his room, slamming the door closed. He pressed his back into the mahogany, sinking down to his knees. He waited until he heard Sirius's heavy steps on the stairs before he let the mask fall.

Goodbye, Sirius.

~

A/N - Sorry this is a day late! Writer's block hit HARD yesterday. You can always check my insta (@honeybee_biscuit) for updates on when things will be published and advances on new stories!

Later, loves!

Evie