Part Twenty-Two | Christmas

Cassia was awoken early Christmas morning by Regulus, was nearly jumping on her to get her up.

"Rey, what time is it?" She sat up, rubbing sleep from her eyes.

Her fiance shrugged, "Seven-thirty?" She groaned, flopping back in bed.

"Love, it's too early for this." Cassia burrowed under the covers, but Regulus had different ideas. He scooped her up, blankets and all. He carried her through to the living room despite her protestings.

"Never too early for presents!" He plopped her onto the couch and gathered a present from under the tree. Cassia grumbled, but she couldn't help smiling at his childishness. She reached under the couch, retrieving his gift.

"Why'd you put them under there?" Regulus looked baffled, and Cassia laughed, raising an eyebrow.

"We both know you're a horrible snoop, Rey." 

He pouted, "Am not!"

"Mmhmm, sure. Then you just happened to find the books I got for your birthday after I had wrapped and hid them?" He flushed, "That's what I thought."

"Oh hush and open your gift." He pushed a giant box toward her, "Go on!"

She laughed, taking it in her lap and peeling away the wrapping paper. Opening the box, she glanced at him, pulling out another wrapped box. He just grinned. Rolling her eyes, she opened that one. And the next. And the next. 

After the fifth box, she glared at him, "What is this, Rey?"

"Just open it!" There was a sea of wrapping paper surrounding her, but she peeled away the last one. It revealed a small, plainly wrapped jewellery box, and she slid the paper off, opening the box. 

Inside was a pair of earrings, made of blue opals and gold wire. One formed the constellation Cassiopeia, a crooked 'W', and she rolled her eyes. Over the years, she had amassed a massive collection of jewellery with her namesake. But then she noticed the other. It formed the constellation Leo, a sort of stick-figure lion (although Cassia had always thought it looked like a horse).

Tears filled her eyes as she hugged Regulus, "Thank you."

He kissed her temple, "I thought you might want a little reminder of him for tonight."

She slipped the earrings into place, wiping away her tears, "Really, thank you, Rey." Cassia passed him his gift, "Go on, your turn."

He tore through the paper like he was a child, and she laughed, "What are you, five?"

"At heart, love, at heart." He grinned, holding up a book of fairytales, "See? You already knew that!"

"Haha," she rolled her eyes, "Open it." Regulus looked confused, but opened it, finding a set of cufflinks tied to the bookmark. Engraved on them was his initials.

"These are really nice, Ca—"

"That's not all," Cassia moved to beside him, taking his hands and pressing his thumbs against the initials. Regulus gaped as they projected a scene in front of him. It was like a little 3D diagram, balanced between the cufflinks.

"Think of a memory, love," she was grinning, watching his expression more than the scene. The little world changed, reforming into a tiny potions classroom, centered on a boy and a girl.

"...a muggle thing, like mini glasses that go in your eye." Cassia's voice came from the model, and she laughed.

"Why that memory?" He shrugged, pulling the cufflinks apart and breaking up the image.

"Dunno. First one that came to mind," he dragged her into his lap, earning a squeek from her, "Thank you, Sweet Pea. I love them."

~

"Cass! We've got to go!" Regulus smoothed back his hair, straightening his tie, "Mother expects us at five and..."

"A Black is always punctual. I know." Cassia appeared, slipping heels on, "Let's go."

Regulus turned away from the mirror, and felt his breath snatched from his chest, "Woah, Sweet Pea." 

Cassia blushed, grabbing his arm, and guiding him to the fireplace, "You're the one wanting to be there on time, gawk later. Malfoy Manor!"

Regulus shook himself, following her through the Floo. But he couldn't help staring. Her dress was a replication of the night sky, down to every constellation. She had pulled her hair up into an elegant bun, and a simple teardrop necklace hung from her neck. Her new earrings glittered at her ears.

He offered her his arm, and they went off to greet their hosts. Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy made an handsome couple, although intimidating. Cassia smiled at the woman, kissing both cheeks.

"Cassia, it's been too long!" Narcissa beamed, "We must catch up tonight!"

"Of course, dear cousin!" Cassia actually wasn't quite sure the relation between her and Narcissa, but 'cousin' was a safe bet in the pureblood community.

"Excuse us, but we've others to greet," Lucius interjected, leading his wife away. Regulus took her arm again. They greeted his parents, which went as well as one could expect (only three comments on their appearances and three on the fact that they were living alone). Next were her parents, which went marginally better, with only one on their appearances and four on them living alone.

"Is it just me, or are they getting crazier about the wedding than we are?" Cassia asked as Regulus led her into a waltz. They had just escaped a ten minute listing of all the people who would be attending.

He laughed, spinning her, "I'm fairly certain they always were. Did you ever tell them how I proposed?"

"'Proposed'," she used air quotes, making a face, "No. Just said that it was very 'Regulus' of you, and they cooed and said how sweet that is. Although Marisa had some choice words for you."

"You liked it," he laughed, "After all, you got to come and yell at me, didn't you?"

She rolled her eyes, smiling nonetheless, "Yes, I loved it. Although I will never take back that you are a bloody wanker."

"A title I shall wear with pride, Sweet Pea, so long as you're the one calling me it."