Part Twenty-Three | To The Stars and Back

It was late one night in December when Cassia awoke to Regulus moving around.

"Rey? What are you doing?" She yawned, propping herself up on her elbow. He leaned over and kissed her gently.

"Go back to bed, love. I'm just going to get a glass of water." She nodded sleepily, laying back down. Within seconds, she was asleep again. Regulus looked down at his fiancee, brushing hair off her face tenderly.

"I love you to the stars and back," he whispered, kissing her once more on the forehead. Then he disappeared.

~~~

"Have you been feeling alright? You don't look very good." Marisa frowned at her friend. Cassia rubbed her forehead, where a headache had formed that morning and refused to leave. The pair sat across from each other in the living room of Cassia's flat.

"Not really. I've felt nauseous almost every day this week, and I can't figure out why," Cassia confessed.

"Have you told Regulus?" Cassia shook her head.

"It's always been before he woke up or after he's left for work. By the time I do see him, it's always passed." Marisa thought of something, and she leaned towards the younger witch.

"You know, that's how I felt with Geo," she hinted quietly, "During the early weeks."

Cassia caught her drift, her eyes widening. Quickly, she did a count of how long it had been since her last period.

"Shit," Cassia said, "Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. What am I going to do, Marisa? I'm eighteen. I'm too young to be pregnant."

"First, you are going to calm down. Second, you are going to go take a pregnancy test to be sure. After, we'll figure out what next. Now, do you have a test here, or do I need to go buy you one?"

"I have one," Cassia stood, going into the bathroom. Marisa went to the kitchen, setting a kettle on to boil. As she was standing at the sink filling it, she noticed a note against the teabags. Unable to help herself, she picked it up, unfolding it. Her eyes fell first to the signature, and she closed it again.

"Marisa, can you come here, please?" Cassia's voice was shaking. She didn't want to look at the test. Her friend came in, wrapping her arms around the witch. The timer Cassia had set went off, and Marisa silenced it.

"Let's look together, yeah? On three," Marisa told the girl, "One... two... three." Cassia flipped the test so they could both see it. There, in neat block letters, it read: PREGNANT.

"How am I going to tell Rey? How am I going to tell my parents? They were barely on board with the whole getting married thing." Cassia could feel her hair starting to turn a sickly shade of orange.

"Topolina, one step at a time. Start with Regulus. He loves you so much, I'm sure he'll be thrilled to hear this. As for your parents, you could wait until after your wedding. It is only two months away. You should be able to hide the baby bump."

Cassia took a deep breath, nodding, "You're right. Of course, you're right. I'll tell Rey when he comes home tonight."

"Oh, before I forget, he left this by the tea for you." Just as Marisa handed over the note, a shrill whistle filled the air. She hurried to take the kettle off the heat, leaving Cassia with the paper. She unfolded it and began to read.

December 30th

Love,

I'm sorry to leave you like this. I've discovered the Dark Lord's been using Horcruxes — cursed objects that keep the user alive indefinitely. I tracked one down, and plan to destroy it. I'm taking Kreacher with me. I don't know if I'll be able to return, but if I'm not back by New Year's Day, please know that I love you so much. I wish we could have gotten married. Please be careful. If they find out it was me, they will come for you. Go to Dumbledore or McGonagall. They'll protect you, no questions asked. Don't trust anyone, love.

I love you to the stars and back, Sweet Pea.

RAB

P.S. Whenever you get lonely, just look to the stars and think of me.

Cassia choked back a sob, her knees crumbling beneath her. She hit the ground, still staring at the note in her hand. He was gone. He might not come back. Regulus Arcturus Black may die.

Marisa came running when she heard Cassia fall. She kneeled beside her friend, hugging her tightly. The girl wanted to ask what was wrong, but Cassia was crying so hard she couldn't speak.

"It's alright, topolina, everything is going to be alright," Marisa soothed as Cassia's sobs began to lessen, "Now what's wrong?"

"Rey is on a mission that there's a good chance he won't come back from." Her voice had turned into a hollow, quiet thing. Marisa hugged her friend again.

"Come on, let's go have a cup of tea, yeah?" She helped her friend stand, keeping an arm around her as they made their way into the kitchen. Cassia sat at the island while Marisa took charge of the tea.

Cassia kept fiddling with her engagement ring, turning it over and over, round and round on her finger. Marisa set a mug down, sliding into the seat next to her.

"Do you want me to stay here with you for a little while?" Marisa asked, rubbing Cassia's back. She nodded numbly, picking up her tea and sipping it. Cassia cradled the mug in her hands, letting the steam warm her face.

"You know, there's still a chance that he'll come back, right? Regulus is strong, I'm sure that he'll come back to you." Cassia nodded, but it was clear she didn't quite believe her friend. She knew that he had been distant the past week, but she had thought it was just stress. Being a double agent, especially one that was kept secret on one side, had to be hard. But... this?

Suddenly, Cassia felt nauseous again.