Chapter 1

The story is based on Indian Mythology The Ramayan written by sage Valmiki and there are hundreds of different versions of the same story. If you do not know about it, go through a brief summary which you can reach through the link in the inline comment section of this paragraph before continuing the book. Happy reading.

*In many versions, it is given that Sumitra was the youngest queen and some say that Kaikeyi was the youngest. But in ARANYA KHANDA of Valmiki Ramayan chapter 16,verse 37, Rama calls Kaikeyi as Amba Madhyama that means second mother or middle mother in Sanskrit.

AYODHYA

Queen Kaushalya was greatly disturbed. Her hands went on making a flower garland as she sat in the beautiful royal garden where Shanta played . True,she could not bear any children after Shanta and they needed a heir to the throne but did Dasharath have to remarry? She didnot notice the prick of the needle on her finger as her blood oozed out. No, she decided. He had to re marry. She could not produce another child let alone a son. He was returning the next day. With Kaikeyi.

Jealousy was the first emotion Kaushalya had registered after hearing the news. After all these years of undeterred love and undivided attention she received from her King, it was difficult to accept the fact that her position had to be shared. As the week passed by, she regained her control over her emotions and was ready to welcome her husband and his new wife.

Kaushalya was a very efficient queen .Her tall, slim frame was attractive. Her skin tone was slightly on the darker side that only enhanced her features. Her face was perfectly symmetrical but it was her large liquid brown eyes brimming with kindness, sensitivity and love , that held the whole of her beauty. Her cooking skills never failed to impress Dasharath. But it was Shanta who brought out the best in her. She was more of a mother .

Shanta, unlike Kaushalya was excited to meet her new mother. A small girl of eight years, she was thrilled to have a new family member who she could play with. She kept on pestering Kaushalya about Kaikeyi but Kaushalya had no other information than Kaikeyi being the princess of Kekeya and was one of the rare princesses skilled in warfare. Kaushalya immersed herself in the arrangements of the welcome trying her best to subdue her negative emotions and genuinely tried to feel happy for the newly wedded couple.

The day did arrive soon. Shanta was impatiently fidgeting next to Kaushalya as she held the aarti. Dasharth got down the chariot and helped his new wife to get down. One glimpse at Kaikeyi, and Kaushalya knew the reasons why Dasharath married her. Not only to get a son but any one could see the love and desire in his eyes for Kaikeyi. She had known that Kaikeyi was beautiful but it was then she realised that the term beautiful was not enough to describe the woman in front of her.

Kaikeyi looked every inch radiant . Kaushalya could safely say that she was the most attractive woman in not only Ayodhya but the whole of Kosala. Thick black hair was pulled back from her fair face. Her eyes were exquisite, lined with rich kohl, her lips were full and red,and now stretched into a smile. Her fair cheeks had a faint blush of red that made her more attractive. She was much shorter than Kaushalya, and had more flesh. Her waist band accentuated her curves. She was sensuously attractive. Kaushalya stood straight and proud. She saw an old hunch backed woman following the couple. Dasharath looked into Kaushalya's eyes as they neared. Kaushalya touched his feet and as she got up he embraced her and whispered " She is beautiful, isn't she, Kaushalya?"

Not even a proper greeting. Kaushalya nodded, her heart wrenching in pain. She welcomed Kaikeyi affectionately that betrayed her inner feelings. But Kaikeyi had eyes only for Shanta. " Shanta!" She cooed lifting Shanta easily, planting a kiss on her cheek. Shanta giggled in joy. For a mere woman in Kaushalya's place, this would create more jealousy, but Kaushalya felt relieved and happy that the second wife loved her daughter before she even knew her.

Kaushalya and Kaikeyi had found it difficult to talk with each other at first but soon after they broke the ice, she realised Kaikeyi was really a good person and had no animosity towards her. Her character made it difficult for Kaushalya to feel jealous. Kaikeyi ceratinly did have a way with words and kept both Shanta and Kaushalya amused and in laughter. Dasharath had visited Kaushalya seperately afterwards. He had taken her in his arms and kissed her and told her that he loved her dearly. And he also loved Kaikeyi the same. But that was not true. It became clear as days passed when Dasharath saw Kaushalya only at meal times. He remained in Kaikeyi's chambers every night after the court proceedings. Kaikeyi had even confronted Dasharath.

" Kaushalya needs you too. She does not show that it affects her but she is not happy"

" No, Kaikeyi. I have had years with her, she won't feel jealous. She knows I need time with you, my darling. You don't worry about that." he had assured her.

Kaikeyi and Kaushalya spent most of their time helping Dasharath and talking with Shanta. Shanta was the only source of joy for Kaushalya. She was taught in the palace about the Vedas and other matters. Kaushalya had recently started teaching her the essence and the methods of cooking. Kaikeyi was not very good at cooking and joined Shanta in learning. Suddenly one day, Shanta asked turning to Kaikeyi" Ma I want to learn how to fight"

" Warfare?" asked Kaikeyi stirring the broth looking at Kaushalya for her reaction.

" Why not?" asked Kaushalya smiling, happy that they were getting along.

" I would love to teach you, Shanta" Kaikeyi said gathering Shanta in her arms." How about starting today?"

" After the broth!" said Kaushlya firmly leading them to the cooking pot.

It was true that Kaushalya loved spending time with her daughter and Kaikeyi. But she could not get over the treatment she received from her husband. He will come around,her mind said but her heart knew that she had lost him forever.

* Constructive criticism is always welcome