Chapter 2

AYODHYA ( FIVE YEARS LATER)

" Shanta!" Kaushalya called out , searching  for her daughter in the vast palace. The sharp sound of sticks clashing led Kaushalya to the large clearing in the garden. Kaikeyi was on the ground a small smile on her face . Shanta  she helped her up. Shanta was tall for a thirteen year old girl.  Her wheatish complexioned  body bore slight bruises of her previous duels. 

" She is taller than me!" Kaikeyi complained dusting her clothes. " You are doing well in stick combat as well as with swords. You don't need me anymore." 

Kaushalya looked proudly at her daughter. Handing a glass of water to Kaikeyi , she opened her mouth to say something. From behind her she heard a voice. " Shanta"

Dasharath stood staring fixedly at his daughter. Shanta rushed forward to greet him. " I am proud of you, my dear" he whispered. Any one would have been , for Shanta was not just a warrior, she put in equal effort in her studies. She wanted to learn everything that was available in the large library of Ayodhya and recently Dasharath had taken her under his wing and  let her be present during  the court proceedings too. " You are doing so well now I can't imagine after another four years, when you finish your studies." Shanta blushed quite unused to hearing such praise from her father. " If only you were my son." he muttered softly, more to himself. 

But the women around him did hear his words. Shanta felt disappointment sinking inside her but quickly recovered her smile. Kaushalya closed her eyes in sadness. Kaikeyi was enraged.

" I wanted to talk to your mothers." he said to Shanta before turning back. 

The queens followed him at a distance. " He should not have said that." whispered Kaikeyi furiously. Kaushalya looked ahead and slightly nodded.

 " A daughter like Shanta is a hundred times better than an ordinary son, our Shanta is..." Kaikeyi continued.

" Kaikeyi, let it go" cut in Kaushalya.  They entered his chambers. " I have something important to say." he said his back facing towards them.They waited for him to continue.

" I have.." he said turning towards them. " As I am unable to produce a heir to the throne of Ayodhya through either of you, I have decided to marry again." He did his best not to look at Kaikeyi. 

Kaushalya was as composed as she always was but Kaikeyi was not pleased and she showed it. "Another marriage." she said softly her eyes glinting with anger. Dasharath looked at Kaushalya but she remained silent. " For a son?" Kaikeyi continued.

" I have decided to marry Princess Sumitra of Kashi" he said looking at Kaushalya. " You have already decided the bride?" Kaikeyi hissed." And you are telling us now?" her voice had risen now.

" Quiet Kaikeyi! Yes. I have. And I leave for Kashi in a week." Dasharath declared.

" Right." she muttered and turned swiftly and went out. Shanta stood by the door silently observing her father.

" She is impulsive, she will come around,don't worry" Kaushalya said .

" I love you both very much" he said looking away." I do need.."

" A heir." Kaushalya finished and went outside looking for Kaikeyi. She was sitting on the swings, her beautiful face marred with tears. It was the first time Kaushalya had seen her cry. 

" Kaikeyi.."

" Did you feel the same way when he married me?" Kaikeyi cut in softly.

" To be honest, at first, yes. I did not even know you then. But later,it did not matter. He will love you the same as he does now" consoled Kaushalya.