Chapter 11

But the blow never came. The great Sage Vibhandaka could not strike his sword down on Rishyashringa. He growled helplessly. He saw Shanta coming inside and standing next to Rishyashringa . For a moment Vibhandaka did not know what was happening but then he realised. He had been  duped. He remembered blessing Shanta. Dheerga Sumangali Bhava.  May she live a long happily married life. And he himself having blessed her, he could not harm her future husband. His own words were not allowing him to kill Rishyashringa. 

For a moment his eyes widened in amazement. The next moment, his laughter rang inside the court. Rishyashringa smiled at his father as Shanta looked relieved.

" You, young woman!" Vibhandaka barked amidst his laughter " You had it planned so well and I walked into the trap! The fact that I can't harm him says that you both will marry,anyhow . I am entrusting my son in your able hands. I cannot stay back here . Donot forget to visit my humble cottage after the wedding." he chuckled as the couple stepped forward to seek his blessings. He went away smiling. It was the only time Vibhandaka had been able to laugh at himself.  

" Would  you like to marry me?" Rishyashringa asked Shanta tenderly holding her. " After all this, you should  already know my answer" she teased.

" No. You would have to leave the palace to stay with me. After all this luxury, I cannot keep you happy as you are here !" he protested

" My luxury is where you are." she replied simply caressing his palm.

They heard a cough outside. King Rompad made his presence be seen. He motioned Shanta to go out. He approached Rishyashringa slowly. He was much shorter than the tall ,towering sage. 

" You love my daughter?" he asked trying his best to keep his voice stern.

" Yes" Rishyashringa did not hesitate.

" You saw a female for the first time and that was Shanta. How do you know this is love? It must be physical desire." Rompad asked him

" It is not. If it was that way, there were a couple of incidents where Shanta was alone with me. I could have harmed her." Rishyashringa was quick to point out.

" Aadi was with her" replied Rompad.

" No offence to Aadi but I think I have been trained enough to take him down" Rishyashringa said smiling.

" Our Shanta is trained well too" Rompad said proudly.

" I noticed it. Her reflexes are good." nodded Rishyashringa. 

" Do you want to say something to me?" Rompad asked trying to be intimidating, wishing he was taller than the rishi before him.

"I.. I  want to marry your daughter, King Rompad" he said.

" You are a great sage who has knowledge far greater than any one I have met. But you are still a hermit. My daughter has been brought up in the lap of luxury. It is my duty to make sure she has a happy,comfortable marriage." Rompad said cautiously.

" I have asked her that too. She wants to be with me." 

" I and Vershini are happy with the alliance. But we need to talk with Shanta before we reach a decision. We cannot thank you enough for your help. We are indebted to you, Oh great one. Please forgive me for the questions I had to ask you. I needed to know that my daughter will be in safe hands. You will be living in the south quarters for tonight." King Rompad folded his hands in gratitude and assisted Rishyashringa to his chambers.

Rishyashringa was unable to sleep on the soft bed unused to such comforts.He spread a matress on the floor and just as he was about to sleep, he heard a loud knock on the door. An attendant stood outside. " Princess Shanta wanted this to be delivered to you" He gave Rishyashringa the scroll.

He opened it eagerly, closing the door. He read the neat writing  of her hand.

Dear Rishya,

We are to be married day after tomorrow.  I couldnot sleep without letting you know about this. I never thanked you enough for saving Anga. So here is my  thank you and love. 

Yours, 

Shanta

He closed his eyes. It hurt to have Shanta so near to him yet not see her, hear her beautiful voice, hold her hand. In two days they would have all the time in the world. He smiled slipping into a blissful sleep.

*Thank you for reading so far.