Chapter 13

It took a few days  for Shanta and Rishyashringa to complete their home with all essentials. Presently, Shanta was making pots while Rishyashringa had gone to collect food for the day.

He arrived lost in his thoughts. " What's the matter?" Shanta asked.

" I saw a woman today" he answered.

" A woman? There is no one in this part of the forest other than us. She would'nt be safe in this forest. Did you ask who she was?" Shanta asked slightly worried.

" No. I didnot need to. She looked like an Apsara*." he said mostly to himself.

Now Shanta was definitely worried but for a completely different reason. " How was she?" She asked in a soft voice that belied her inner turmoil.

" She was exquisite. The most beautiful creation of nature." he answered looking away from her.

" Then you should have called her here. Perhaps she reciprocates your feelings" Shanat replied her heart sinking.

" She already is here" he smiled.

" What? Where?" Shanta's tense voice was evident.

" Right in front of me" Rishyashringa burst out laughing holding Shanta close to him.

" This is no joke" huffed Shanta pushing him away lightly. " I really thought it was true!"

" Never can some one replace you, Shanta" he murmured against her hair. " You should'nt think of me like that. I will not marry again."

" Good." she whispered ,relieved. " We need to visit your father soon"

" We can take our time" he said lifting her up and entering their cottage. He pulled her into a kiss dipping her head slightly. Shanta felt the whole world around her dim as she poured her everything into the kiss. A small knock on the door made Shanta spring apart. 

"We are'nt doing anything wrong. We are married!" laughed Rishyashringa opening the door.

Aadi looked sheepish as he realised he had interrupted something. " There is a letter from Ayodhya" he murmured not looking at the couple.

"Yes" said Shanta stretching out for the letter. But Aadi didnot give it to her. 

" It is specifically for Rishi Rishyashringa." Aadi said.

Rishyashringa frowned,stepping  forward taking the letter. " Thank you Aadi."

" I will wait outside for the answer" Aadi said stepping out.

Rishyashringa was certainly surprised that the letter was for him. He opened it up and read it quietly and gave it to Shanta.

Respected Sage Rishyashringa,

I, Dasharath the Emperror of Ayodhya bow to your greatness. I have heard that only you could have put a stop to the suffering of Angad and it is only your grace that can perform the Putrakameshti Yajna*  successfully. Hence I request you with folded hands to bless Ayodhya by conducting the Yajna here. Congratulations on your wedding with Princess Shanta.  Please enclose your answer with King Rompad who will make sure that it will reach me. 

Dasharath

" Hmm..When will you be going ?" Shanta asked handing back the letter to him.

" You would also love going to Ayodhya again" he said.

" I don't know..." trailed Shanta.

Rishyashringa did not press the matter further. He  wrote a quick answer and sent it back through Aadi. 

They set off towards a lake nearby to bathe. It was only after their bath while braiding Shanta's hair did Rishyashringa ask, " Why don't you want to go to Ayodhya?"

" I can't see them all again and be seperated. Too painful" she sighed.

" We can stay there a few more days if they extend their hospitality" he said finshing up with the braid.

" I don't think I will come Rishya" she said softly.

" I am not leaving you alone here. Either we both go together or we don't" he stated with an air of finality. " Are you angry?" He could'nt see her face as she had her back towards him.

" Not at all. I can't face my mothers again. They begged me to rebel and not come to Angad but still I came. I dissappointed them.And seeing them again, I would break down." she explained.

Rishyashringa lightly dropped a kiss on her shoulder before turning her around. " They would want to see you again. They will never forgive me for not bringing you to Ayodhya. We will stay there as many days as you want. I want to see the land which produced this extremely radiant woman." he said kissing her forehead.

" You have your duties here. We cannot stay there for long." Shanta reminded him.

" I can learn a lot there too." he replied pulling her close to his chest stroking her hair.

" When do we begin our journey?" she asked.

" Tomorrow early morning" he said  getting up. " I would need you to assist me in Ayodhya and we have lots of preparations  to do." 

" Your wish is my command, Arya" she smiled as he helped her up.

*Putrakameshti Yajna is the ritual to obtain sons and due to this  the three wives of Dasharath obtain sons.

*Apsaras are celestial beauties residing in Indra's palace.

*Arya means husband.

* Thank you for reading so far. Have a nice day :)