Chapter 9

As Shanta rode to the palace, she remembered how Rishyashringa had whispered to Aadi before fleeing the Ashram. " What did he say?" she asked aloud to Aadi.

Aadi hesitated. " To bring you safe back to Anga"

The next day before the break of dawn, Shanta was waiting for Aadi to arrive inside the palace. A royal attendant came running with a scroll in his hands. " Pardon me, for my lateness,Princess. Aadi instructed me to give it to your highness."

Impatiently Shanta unscrolled it and her face became impassive as she read it.

Princess Shanta,

Forgive me for I am unable to  accompany you today to  the forest due to grave needs in my home . I have arranged someone else for you. He might not be capable as I am but he will do everything in order to protect you. Personally, I feel your highness should not go today.Moreover, we are receiving help from the other kingdoms for the time being. Your safety is more important. Please pardon my absence.

Your faithful servant,

Aadi

Shanta snorted. She barely had agreed for Aadi to come along, let alone someone else. She set out to the Ashram alone in the dark. After sometime she saw a person walking towards the path she had taken. It was almost noon by that time but she could not see who it was from the  distance. She hid behind a tree till the man came and as he passed her, she realised the familiar clothes he wore. " Aadi!" she whispered furiously.

Startled, he turned around. " I told you,Princess, not to come here alone!" He said in disappoval

" What are you doing here?" she asked ." I thought you had some 'grave needs at home'?"

" I.. I ..." he stuttered.

" Where did you go? Rishi Vibhandak's Ashram?" she cut in.

" Yes" he said meekly looking down.

" Why did'nt you call me?" she asked irritated by now. He didnot answer.

" Rishi Vibhandak has left?" she asked impatiently.

" He left two hours ago." he answered. " You go now, Princess there is no time to waste. I will stay here till You come"

" You came here that early?" Shanta was confused by how he acted. But she didnot want to waste time on Aadi. She ran to the Ashram and came to a hault. She could not see Rishyashringa anywhere. She quitely knocked on the door. She didnot hear the soft footsteps behind her.

Large hands closed her eyes. " Guess who?" a deep  voice whispered in her ears tickling her. She smiled and turned around. 

" I have missed you" Rishyashringa said leading her inside.

" I have too" she replied smiling. Before she could ask him anything, he whispered " Father will be late today. He said so. I can help you. But it will not take just one day. It will need a lot of time. There is no way we could do this without him knowing. Why does he hate women? Perhaps I could change his mind."

Shanta narrated the story of Sage Vibhandaka to Rishyashringa. He was silent. "Not all women are like that" he said. " You don't seem to be like that"

" Can you make him understand?" she asked 

" No. He will not give me a chance to explain if he sees us together. He will head straight to the kill. Perhaps if I had a chance to explain, I can change his mind"

" Then you can't help" she said sadness filling  her voice, looking down at her feet.

Rishyashringa lifted her chin drawing her close. "I have a plan. I can help you."