Chapter 17

Five years later, Rishyashringa was sitting outside the hut reading a long letter. Shanta had just come back from bathing. " What are you reading?" she asked.

He turned a shade of red. " It's from Mithila for you. They said it was very urgent.I was very curious, I couldn't  contain myself."

" You know that I don't mind. What does King Seeradwaj Janak say? It's very strange, I have'nt ever corresponded with him"

He handed the letter smiling. 

Didi,

I hope this letters find you and Rishi Rishyashringa well and healthy. All of us miss you a lot. King Janak and Queen Sunaina had held a swayamvar for his daughter, Princess Sita and I am the lucky man to win her hand. In addition to that Bharath is to marry her cousin Mandavi, Shatrughan is to marry Shrutkirti who is also her cousin, and our Lakshman and Urmila, Sita's sister. I wrote to you the first thing as soon as the marriage was fixed, it is two weeks from now. You will love Sita and her sisters. I would love you and Rishi Rishyashringa to come here as soon as possible. Please do come. I will await you in Mithila. 

Ram

" They are getting married!" she exclaimed." We need to go, we can go, can't we?"

" Of course, my dear" he twirled her. " He did not mention how he strung the bow of Lord Shiva and broke it, ending the swayamvar. The messenger told me. He had to face the wrath of Lord Parashuram for that."

" He lifted the bow, strung and broke it?" she was surprised. " It cannot be lifted like that.."

" Sita lifted it when she was barely eight." Rishyashringa said.

" What?" Now,she was shocked. He nodded. Soon, she was busy preparing for their journey to Mithila. " Ram and Sita must be so strong. It is good that Lord Parashuram did not curse any one." she said .Rishyashringa leaned against the door waiting for her. " They are not who we think they are, Shanta" he muttered to himself.

It was the day before the  wedding.The brothers had come to welcome Shanta and Rishyashringa. After a formal welcome and meeting the Rajmatas and King Dasharath, Rishyashringa went to meet King Janak. The four brothers and Shanta were seated in one of the beautiful quarters of Mithila. " Tell me about your brides" Shanta said.

" Lakshman will begin first." Bharat grinned  . Lakshman blushed a deep shade of crimson as Shatrughan thumped him. " Urmila is the only person I can imagine as my wife." he muttered.

" What?" Bharat asked putting his hands behind his ears. " Don't tease him!" Shanta laughed.

" No, didi, he acts all shy here but really, they fight and romance non stop." Bharat said fighting off Lakshman.

 " I can say the same about Shrutkirti, I mean I can only see her as my life partner and she sings really well." Shatrughan said. Shanta was happy to see her quiet brother blossoming out.

" Mandavi is very beautiful and she paints like no one else I have ever seen. She has the softest hands.." Bharat said

" How do you know she has the softest hands? You have touched other's...?" Lakshman started getting up.

" No! I was just...you sly..!" he went after Lakshman.

" Tell me about Sita." she turned to Ram. Ram smiled, " Whatever I say can do no justice to how she is. You will have to meet her. All I can say is she is stole my heart." 

" Ram Bhaiya can't keep his eyes of Sita didi" Bharat had returned.

" You can't stop gaping open mouthed at your fiance" Lakshman snorted.

" Stop it, you two" Ram intervened just as Rishyashringa entered. " Didi must be tired, we should leave. See you tomorrow didi, Rishi Rishyashringa."

"Tired?" Rishyashrina asked kissing her nose lightly just as the princes left. " Yes" she yawned against his chest. 

The next day was bright and sunny. When Shanta saw Sita, the first impression was that Sita was so beautiful that the grandeur around her paled in comparison. She was tall almost as Ram, lean and had a presence of kindness and was full of smiles. Just seeing her could lift  any one out of dumps. Urmila was much shorter than Lakshman and no less in physical beauty was also said to be a scholar. Mandavi and Shrutkirti looked exactly as Shanta had thought of them. After the ceremony, the couples had come to take her and Rishyashringa's blessings. 

" My sister, Shanta and Rishi Rishyashringa" Ram introduced them to Sita. Shanta smiled embracing  Sita. 

" Ram talks about you a lot." Sita smiled revealing her dimples.

"Now I know why Ram said his words would'nt do justice" Shanta said affectionately. She greeted Urmila, Shrutkirti and Mandavi. 

The next day, the royal couples were to leave for Ayodhya and Shanta back to Anga. After a goodbye from all of them , Ram had returned alone to meet Shanta who was waiting for Rishyashringa to come. " Didi" he called out.

" You have'nt left stilll? We just bade you..." started Shanta looking surprised.

" No, listen,didi. Promise me something." he said looking serious.

" Anything." she said as Rishyashringa came beside her.

" You will come to Ayodhya" Ram  said.

" No" she replied instantly.

" Not now. But one day you will come to Ayodhya again. You will be strong as you always have been. For father,for us." he said taking her hands in his.

" What are you talking about?" 

" I....you will have to come when the royal couples have children." he smiled sadly. 

She grinned. " Of course" and blessed Ram before going inside. Rishyashringa felt his throat choke. The rumours were true. " Ram.." he whispered looking at the man before him unable to think why he could'nt see  him this way the  first time he saw him.

 Ram nodded sadly . Rishyashringa held him before Ram  could touch his feet. " I will get her to Ayodhya when the time comes. I promise I will be with her." Rishyashringa said. Satisfied, Ram returned back. 

" Shall we leave?" Shanta called out.

* Thank you for reading so far. Have a nice day :)