Chapter 16

The moment Rishyashringa entered his home and his eyes fell on the four young men inside, he knew that they were not just the princes of Ayodhya. Shanta looked radiant serving them food after their long journey from Ayodhya.

" This is my husband, Rishyashringa" she said smiling at him. 

" My brothers!" she exclaimed happily turning to him.

Rishyashringa smiled at her excitement, greeted his brothers-in -law and  joined them to eat.

" Didi did not allow us to wait till you joined us, she insisted us to eat" Ram obliged getting up.

" She is right. I might have come late too. I will eat later with Shanta." Rishyashringa said sitting beside the enoromous Lakshman.

" I heard you all finished your studies in Rishi Vasisht's Gurukul" Rishyashringa continued turning to Lakshman.

"Yes, we had our best time there. We learnt Vedas, archery, horse riding.." started Lakshman going into a fit of cough.

" Don't talk too much when you eat." Bharath admonished. Shatrughan passed his cup of water to his twin. Ram patted Lakshman's back . Shanta asked " Is it true that when you all were little, Lakshman cried if his cradle was removed away from Ram's?"

Lakshman blushed at the memory, " I didnot cry! I just fussed a bit. I don't cry."

Bharath left no time to embarass his brother. " He certainly did cry. Everyone says so. Just recently, when Ram bhaiya had gone to the forest alone and returned a bit late , Lakshman almost c.."

" That's enough, Bharath" cut in Ram seeing Lakshman who was now red and was muttering something under his breath.

Rishyashringa gave a deep laughter seeing the shaking Lakshman beside him and ruffled his hair. He could see the way the brothers loved each other.

" You performed the Putrakameshti Yajna years ago" stated Shatrughan quietly. " We are the result of it."

Rishyashringa looked at him and had a sudden impression of looking into an old, intelligent soul inside a youthful man.

" That is his way of saying thank you" prompted Ram, getting up. " We will serve you and Didi"

Later in the evening, Rishyashringa could not help but notice that Ram was in many ways similar to Shanta. Their eyes, the calm and warmth they radiated, but one look at him in the begining and he was sure that Ram and his brothers were no ordinary princes. He wanted to know more. "How about a duel ?" 

Lakshman and Bharath looked enthusiastic. Shatrughan's face was inscrutable. Ram smiled." It would be an honour to duel with someone as great as you."

" Nonsense, I fight as your brother-in-law." said Rishyashringa going out. 

" I will duel first" said Lakshman bounding into the deep circle carved by Rishyashringa. 

"Yes" said Rishyashringa as they bowed to each other.

Lakshman was ceratinly good and his tall stature would have been a plus point if Rishyashringa was not taller than him. But he got distracted easily. Rishyashringa won in the end saying, " You need to control your  mind. You get angry easily.That distracts you."

Lakshman smiled ruefully as Bharath came up and bowed. Bharat's  style was definitely more swifter but he entered exposing his whole body to his opponent. Rishyashringa had to try his best not to hurt Bharat yet defeat him. Bharath at last gave up, panting. " You do extremely well for a Maharishi."

" I only knew the basics. Your sister refined my moves." Rishyashringa smiled at the memory of Shanta instructing him. Ram got up . Rishyashringa admired the way he stood sideways exposing as little of his body to him. He was calm and composed. His movements were fast and accurate yet controlled. His arms travelled as fast as his eyes. Though he was not as tall, he had very long arms. Their duel went on till it was dark.