Chapter 19

The fourteenth year was a turmoil to Shanta. After hearing the abduction of Sita, she and Rishyashringa were awaiting the news of the war held in Lanka. The day they heard of Ram's victory, Shanta was fully prepared to leave for Ayodhya but Rishyashringa had stopped her. 

" He doesn't need you now, Shanta" he said quietly looking into the dense forest around them.

" What? They are coming back" she reminded him.

" I will take you there when your presence is gravely needed in Ayodhya. Not now." he said softly.

"I don't understand what you are telling. We need to see his coronation." she said thinking her husband was slightly demented.

" No. We will have to return soon again. It is best  we go later when we are truly needed. Trust me. " he said firmly.

"Alright." she relented. Rishyashringa never had restrained her from doing something. But she trusted him to know things she could never know. 

Three  months  later,four long letters came for Shanta. She excitedly waved them at Rishyashringa after reading them. " Ma, Lakshman, Ram and Sita have written. Everyone has asked about you. Ram has given a detailed description of their exile. I am glad everything good happened in the end. Can you believe that Lakshman slept during  the whole of the coronation as he was extremely tired for not sleeping for days, years actually, and Sita has enclosed a very nice information. Well, we are going to have a niece or a nephew. Sita's pregnant!" she burst out happily.

" I did'nt hear a word. Tell me again" Rishyashringa smiled taking her in his arms.

A week later, when Shanta was returning from her bath, she found Rishyashringa waiting for her outside. " We need to go to Ayodhya now. The King of Anga has sent us a note."

" What is it?" Shanta panicked.

" I don't know. We need to go." he said avoiding her eyes.

They reached Ayodhya sooner than they ever had. Rishyashringa was a few steps ahead of her striding quickly.

" You know what has happened." she said stiffly catching up with him.

" Yes. You should hear from Ram." he said quickly running up the steps as the gaurds sprang apart.

Shanta now felt sick. If Rishyashringa was refusing to say something, it must be very bad. She saw her mother and Urmila first who looked stony. Urmila's face was tear stained. " What happened, Urmi?" Shanta asked cradling her in her arms. Urmila burst into tears hugging Shanta saying incoherent words. Lakshman stood quite far from her looking down, guilt and sorrow written all over his face. " Lakshman, please say something" Shanta begged but he didnot even look at her. She went to Kaushalya. " Is Ram alright? Is everyone in good health?" she asked shaking her mother slightly.

Bharat closed his eyes closing his fist tightly. " Sita bhabi was sent away." he said through clenched teeth.

Shanta could not make a head or tail of the situation. " She is pregnant. Has she gone to Mithila for her delivery?" she asked Bharat.

" No" Bharat inhaled sharply motioning Shatrughan to continue.

" Sita bhabi was sent away from Ayodhya. To live in the forests." he said quietly.

Now Shanta was shocked. " What? She is pregnant! Who dared to send her away? She is the queen of Ayodhya. Didn't Ram say anything..?"

" I left her in the jungle" Lakshman said quietly tears now streaming down his face. " I left her helpless there."

Shanta turned to him " You are talking nonsense Lakshman, she is like your mother. You would never leave her like that."

Urmila nodded sadly. " He did."

Shanta was shocked beyond belief. " You! She was carrying a baby! Why was she.."

" Ram bhaiya ordered Lakshman to leave her." Bharat cut in.

Shanta felt suffocated.She could not believe it. Why, Ram couldn't live a day without his Sita. When Lankeshwar had abducted Sita, Ram was almost destroyed. He went far and did everything to bring her back.  What was wrong with Ram? How could he leave his own wife..

" I told you that you should have spoken to Ram first" Rishyashringa was fidgeting beside her.

" Not necessary. I have to go and find Sita.." she turned around. Lakshman called out. " No! She is in Sage Valmiki's ashram.She is safe."

" She is the queen of Ayodhya and she is your sister-in-law. You cannot leave her.." Shanta started angrily.

" Ram bhaiya gave her up.She is no longer the queen of Ayodhya." Lakshman was on his knees by now his hands covering his face.

Shanta could not speak. She closed her hands over her face as her knees gave away. Strong hands caught her before she could feel the ground. " Why, Ram? " she whispered as Ram  caught her.

*Thank you for reading so far. Have a nice day :)