ch 6

Ciyera swam around in her peacock form, unhappily. She hated being with Thomas, but if she was caught by these London people; she'd be in trouble. She could smack herself. She should fly home, it was the sensible thing to do. These Europeons had savages in their lands, like Thomas. She couldn't remain here. When she returned home she'd warn her tribe, and all the tribes not to trust Europeons' sweet words. Some of them were big savages like Thomas. But then she remembered the kind face of Prince Edward. Maybe not all of them were savages.

A big winged animal descended towards her. The same animal who helped her. It landed quickly, as thought it fell. It was wounded. It was wounded by the peacock arrow. Ciyera swam towards it. It shied away then Ciyera reached close enough to break the arrow off, and push the arrow out, the animal winced. But Ciyera grabbed a plant she recognized with her wing and crushed it to paste, applying it on the wound. "You are a Navesink chief's daugther," the eagle like bird spoke.

"Yes," Ciyera replied. "I'm under a spell after I asked the spirits for help. I shall return to break the spell."

"You cannot break the spell," the bird replied. "It is a spell of nature to help you get rid of your troubles. But you cannot rid of it until you rid of your troubles. That is how you naturally rid of it."

"But I can't stay here," Ciyera replied. "I have pretended to be a Spanish Princess after I escaped a low down Englishman! And now I am bethrothed to an English crown prince!"

"Are the Spanish royalty, who's princess relative you pretend to be, unforgiving to a scared native alone far from home?"-the bird asked.

"The Emperor is a power weilding, politically tricky, and advantage seeking one," Ciyera replied. "The Spanish Princesses are true in heart; but the ones in England are zealous to the Catholic faith. I don't know what they would think of my Navesink beliefs, except believe it heathen."

"What about this English Prince?"-the bird asked.

Ciyera looked up at the sky. "He is most of different," she replied. "He cares not about where your origin is, or what your custom is. He cares for who you are. Yes he holds onto his beliefs, strongly. But it is because it is part of who he is."

"Then will you fear letting him know the truth?"-the bird asked.

Ciyera looked down, confused. "For he sounds as though he will accept you," the bird added, and Ciyera looked up.

"I am Gaia, spirit of the earth," the bird introduced itself, extending its wing. "I will help you remove your problems so your spell can be broken."

"I am Ciyera chief's daughter of the Navesink tribe," Ciyera replied in the Navesink language, shaking its wing with her own.

"Nice to meet you," The bird replied in the Navesink language.