Breakfast for Lunch: Part 6

It took just under twenty minutes to reach the restaurant. Juliet didn't notice. She was doing her best not to squirm from the feeling his hand was sending through her. She had been tempted to grab it the entire ride, to interlace her fingers with his. To do anything that would get her mind off of him touching her like that so she could think clearly, but as the rough pad of his thumb moved back and forth against her leg, she was lost, with no sense of time or direction. She felt the sensation run up her thigh, and she briefly wished he would pull over so they could continue what he had started at her apartment building.

He was a perfect gentleman. She thought bitterly when his hand remained in its place. Juliet felt silly for thinking that when she had only known him in person for less than twenty-four hours. It was unusual that she felt this way for someone after only one date. Normally she didn't want anything more than to hold hands or kiss until she got to know them better. She was usually very reserved, but something about him had triggered her. She wanted to chalk it up to knowing him through the messages that he sent her every day for the past few months, but in her mind, she had separated that Matthew, from the one next to her. He sat there with his calloused, tanned hand on her bare skin, tormenting her. As she looked over at him, she realized that he probably didn't even know what effect he had on her.

The air around her was warm, thick. Something you could only cut through with a serrated knife. She focused on taking deep breaths to keep herself sane in the confined space, but each inhale brought his masculine scent to her, and she wanted to bury her face in his neck to get more. If he hadn't kissed her like that when they were at her apartment, she would have been fine. At least, that's what she had been telling herself.

When he lifted his hand from her leg, she felt the cold air rush over her exposed skin, and it sent goosebumps along her body. Her head turned to watch the retreating hand unhappily as it wrapped around the gear stick to put the car in park.

"You've been quiet, are you feeling alright?" Just as she thought the air had started to cool, she met his heated gaze, and she knew that he was, in fact, well aware of what he was doing to her. The amusement that danced in his eyes made her want to storm out of the car and slam the door in embarrassment. Instead, she sat there and met his challenge head-on, her body unwinding from the tense car ride.

"I feel fine. These seats are a bit uncomfortable." She lied through her teeth. The leather seats were extremely nice, and she felt so nervous it surprised her that her hands were not shaking. There was something else making her feel uncomfortable, and he knew it.

"Oh, really?" His hand slid back over the center console, and he grabbed hers gently. "You know if something's wrong, you can tell me." His thumb brushed back and forth across the top of her hand.

"Nothing is wrong. I'm just hungry." She said as she wrapped her other hand around the door handle to signal that she wanted to go inside.

"I know when people are lying to me." He said with a smirk. "I'm so good at being able to tell that you would think that I had been trained on it." The deep chuckle that left his throat filled the car. She continued to stare into his eyes, getting lost in them for a moment, and the words came out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

"You make me nervous." She bit her tongue as soon as the words escaped, and she pushed open the door quickly. Warm air filled the car as she jumped out and looked around her. They were at a breakfast café on the outskirts of their small town, just a few miles west of the beach. She took in a deep breath of the refreshing salted air and felt it calm her. The building was surrounded by greenery, not unlike the rest of the town. Everything was alive and rich in plant life no matter where she looked, and she could not think of a better place to live.