Rugged But Refined: Part 8

It was an afternoon full of stolen kisses after they left the shooting range to head to the beach. They explored the walkway that ran parallel to the water, passing by the small mom and pop shops that littered the walkway as they got lost in conversation. It wasn't until the sun started to descend behind the trees when Juliet looked around and found that they were several blocks away from where he had parked the car.

The pull on her hand had her look over at Matthew as he began to walk towards a small restaurant. She couldn't help the smile on her face as he held the door open for her once again. The smell of warm bread wafted through the entryway, and her stomach rumbled in delight. Matthew released her hand as she walked forward and placed his on the small of her back instead. There was no wait as the hostess led them through the maze of tables overflowing with chatter as its occupants sipped their wine and nibbled at the ridiculously small portions of food.

He pulled the chair out for her before going around to the other side to sit on the bench that lined the wall on the other side of the table. It didn't take long for her to pick out what she would eat. The menu only had a few items on it, and most were over-priced. She was positive that she was the most expensive date ever, but he didn't seem fazed by it. After taking their order, the waiter came back to offer a bottle of red wine that Juliet tried to waive away when she heard the price, but Matthew accepted, and both glasses were filled.

"So, tell me what your real reason is." Juliet said as she pulled apart a warm roll from the basket that decorated the middle of the table. A small puff of steam rose from the soft inside as she ripped a bite off and placed it in her mouth. The flavor exploded across her senses, and she sighed in content. Nothing was better than freshly baked bread.

"My real reason?" He asked as he grabbed a piece as well and took a bite out of the roll in his hand.

"Yeah, what's wrong with you?" A small smile graced her lips as she thought of the possibilities. Was it just due to him traveling for work? A man like him shouldn't have a problem finding someone willing to wait for him. People go off to war for a lot longer than he goes to work. Most of them have someone at home waiting. Granted, the unfortunate truth of the large amount of those significant others who would not remain faithful was horrendously heartbreaking, but the true loves always waited. They found their one; their person. They would wait until the end of the world if they had to, to be together again. That was the best kind of love.

If it wasn't his job, it had to be something else. He looked and sounded normal. She immediately worried that it was something that she wasn't going to be able to see, something behind closed doors that deterred women. Was it a fetish that she was going to have to live with?

A small shiver of discomfort ran down her spine as she briefly thought of the possibilities. If they continued to see each other, she would find out eventually anyway, but curiosity peaked in her. She didn't want to waste her time if he was into something that she wouldn't like.

She looked him up and down as she leaned forward on her elbows, and eyed his perfect haircut that covered his head and ran down to his neatly trimmed beard. Even models didn't look as clean-cut as he was. The line of each muscle in his exposed forearm was pronounced, and she could only imagine what the rest of him looked like. Even his car was immaculately clean. Maybe he was a perfectionist and needed someone to live up to the standards that he lived by. She thought about the last time she went to the gym and how much she hated it. She still had some muscular definition from the sports she played as a teenager, and she enjoyed going on the elliptical every once in a while. Without a doubt in her mind, she knew that she would never be able to devote herself to the kind of physical maintenance that he had.

She thought over the other options as he stared at her with a smirk, knowing she was trying to come up with reasons for him to turn to online dating. She had always been a very open person with her facial expressions, extremely easy to read when she wasn't focused on hiding them. Her eyes trailed to his hand as he finished off the roll. She did not see a tan line on his finger, but that didn't mean anything. He could be married. Her mood dropped at the thought, and she could feel her back slouch into her chair slightly. It was a ridiculous thought, and she was aware of it. They had been so openly affectionate. If he were having an affair, wouldn't he have wanted to keep it a secret?