No Audio: Part 15

For a moment, Juliet couldn't move as she stared into the camera lens with confusion. The realization of what she had been looking at hit her, and her green eyes widened as she dropped the black cloth back over the device. Immediately, Juliet had the feeling that she was going to regret exposing herself to the camera. Matthew must have covered it for a reason. As she looked back down at the lock, she couldn't help but wrap her fingers around the door handle to try and open it.

She knew that a door with multiple security measures was sure to be locked, and it was, much to her disappointment. Maybe it was her exhaustion, maybe it was her curiosity, but she stared blankly at the door for a few moments longer before she turned and walked away.

Muffled vibration from the room stilled her after a step, and she moved back in front of the door in confusion. Juliet briefly glanced down the hallway to confirm Matthew was still asleep before she pressed her ear against the barrier between her and the noise. The cold surface surprised her as she realized that it was metal hidden beneath the white paint, not the standard wood or hollowed door that most houses had.

She had her head turned so she could see the end of the hallway as she stood there, waiting for the noise again. Juliet knew that she had overstepped boundaries as she listened, but all she could hear was the sound of her heartbeat as it pumped guilt through her body. Despite the blood that rushed through her ears, she tried her best to listen for either the noise again or the sound of Matthew's footsteps. Neither came.

The vibrating only happened the once, and after a few minutes of anxiety filled listening, she pulled back. It didn't make sense why she did it, but after she had given up and tip-toed back to the living room, Juliet had the intense need to check the room and the kitchen for more cameras. When she didn't see anything, she tip-toed to the mudroom where she had previously stood naked and did a thorough search. She calmed slightly when she could not spot any more recording devices. Obviously, the camera was only there for the security of whatever was hidden behind the door.

Matthew woke when Juliet flipped the small white switch on the wall, turning off the lights before she curled into the seat on the other end of the couch. He stretched out an arm for her and beckoned her back to him. It wasn't hard for her to maintain a tired expression as his eyes scanned over her face with a small smile before his eye lids drooped down from the weight of his exhaustion. If he could tell how tense she was, he didn't say anything.

As she curled into his side again, he resumed his light snoring. She, however, did not. Instead, she lay stiffly pressed against Matthew's side as she tried to come up with an answer for what he had been keeping behind the door.

She had always had an overactive imagination, and before tonight she thought that was a good thing because it helped her with her writing. As she tilted her head up to stare at Matthew, she now wasn't so sure it was a blessing. It could be anything behind that door, but only two things were running through her mind as possibilities.

The first thing that came to mind was a sex room, and if that were the case, she wasn't sure that she would ever want to go in there. She was willing to try new things, but she couldn't help the shiver of disgust that wracked her body when she thought about him being with other women in it. The other option was even more disturbing, and she knew it was entirely unreasonable. That didn't stop her from picturing a wall of torture devices and a chair in the middle of the room where someone sat bleeding.

No more story storming for me. She thought as she realized what she was doing. It was familiar for her to go down the rabbit hole when she was trying to come up with new writing ideas. Whenever she needed something new, she would go to a public place and try to come up with a backstory for everyone around her and then go with the most gripping one. She would look at how they interacted with the people around them, what they wore, and how they moved to figure out what their job could be, how they met their partner, and what dark secrets they had hidden from the world.