Epilogue

Juliet walked slowly across the gravel driveway with her hands down at her sides in fists to hide the fact that they were shaking. It had been a long four years, but it was also the best four years of her life. Matthew walked up behind her and placed his warm palm on her lower back, and she felt her muscles loosen at his touch. The large, beautiful ranch style house in front of her added to the intimidation she had been feeling toward their current situation, and she had half a mind to run back to the car and not come out.

"Relax, Red. Everything will be okay." He bent down, and whispered into her ear before he pressed a kiss to the crown of her head. His hot breath fanned across her skin, and she gave a jerk as a chill ran down her spine from his proximity. It didn't matter how long they were together, her body still reacted like it was the first time. Sparks would dance across her skin, goosebumps would appear as they followed his lips where they trailed across her body, and her mind would melt with each declaration of his love.

Contrary to the fact that he had lied about being a data analyst, Matthew was actually very good with numbers and had taken up a job as a high school math teacher. All of the student loved him and he was happy with his new job as well. Juliet knew that he missed the thrill and action of his old career every now and then, as they discussed it from time to time, but he always said that having the ability to walk down the hallway and step into Juliet's English class made it all worth it. They were inseparable, and she loved every second of it. While they had decided not to get married until they could have their families attend, it did not stop them from moving forward with their future. They may have had to start their lives over, but the life they built together was a beautiful one. One with no secrets, and no barriers.

Matthew had told her everything from his childhood, to the moment he saw her get out of that SUV, without holding any information back. His career had started with him working as a standard field agent for the C.I.A. which then transitioned into him being sent away for special operations training as The Agency had plans for him. Upon completion of training, he was sent to work as an independent contractor. Even though he still worked for the C.I.A, he no longer had any direct ties to them as they made sure he no longer existed. The Agency had scrubbed his existence from the world, including his home town, where they held a private closed casket ceremony for him.

Unfortunately, by the time he heard word of his father's illness upon his return from overseas, it was too late as he had already passed. When he spoke of it, she could see the pain and hear the anguish in his story. He told her how his father, Brian, had suffered from lung cancer and that when his time came, he had been accepting of his fate. That was the hardest part for him. He cried as he explained that his dad was willing to move on because he thought his son was there waiting for him on the other side.

It took years after he heard the news of his father's passing, and years of keeping an eye on his mother and sister from afar, before he slipped up and Cadence spotted him during one of his check-ups. She was angry at first, but was overrun by joy and happiness at the sight of her big brother alive and well. His mother, Joyce, was a different story. Matthew had expected her to be mad, but he never expected her to turn her back on him.

Cadence had to explain later that their mother had begged their father to continue treatment but he had refused it, and instead stated that it was time he saw Matthew again. While Joyce was happy that Matthew was alive and well, a large part of her also blamed him for the death of her soulmate. She felt that if Brian had known that his son was still alive, that he would have fought harder to live.

Matthew continued to discretely stay in touch with Cadence and would call her from a burner phone at least once a month to see how she was doing with her schooling and to ask about his mother. Cadence could understand both sides and she happily gave updates to and about the other person, but he and his mother would not speak directly, no matter how many times he called her. It broke Juliet's heart as he explained his story and she held onto him as tightly as she could.

When the FBI and C.I.A. were able to crack down on the organization they had been investigating and had determined that there was no longer a threat to Juliet or Matthew, they were released from protective custody.

Juliet rubbed her hand down her swollen belly in an attempt to calm herself as they approached the door. "Maybe I shouldn't be here for your first visit." She said as she planted her feet and pulled Matthew to a stop. The beautiful chocolate lab at their feet continued to move forward until he reached the grass, and began to roll around.

"Juliet, I told you that they want to meet you." He said, and she could feel herself melt at the thumb that was rubbing circles on her bicep as he held her in front of him, and looked down into her eyes.

"But you haven't talked in so long and I think that you all need some privacy to work thing out." Juliet stated, as she placed her hands on Matthew's waist, and played with the sides of his shirt between her fingertips. After they were released and were able to go back to their lives, Matthew was nervous to see his family, and eventually had settled for calling first. It wasn't the best decision to announce your return from the dead by phone. There was a lot of yelling from Cadence for disappearing for the second time, but she eventually calmed down enough to understand that it had been out of his control.

According to Cadence, Joyce had used the four years of forced silence to forgive him and move past her heartbreak. When his monthly calls stopped, her worry eventually outweighed her anger, and more than anything, she just wanted to hear his voice or see him one more time to know that he was okay. He called her after speaking to Cadence and was flabbergasted by the fact that she had answered the phone at all after ignoring his calls for so long. When she demanded that he return home so she could see he was safe for herself, he was left speechless. Juliet watched as he bit back his emotions at hearing his mother's voice, but he was ecstatic that he was going to get to introduce Juliet to the other women in his life.

"We talked on the phone. Come on, you are perfect and they are going to love you." As he stepped to the side to pull her toward the entrance of the home once more, the front door was thrown open, and a beautiful blonde sprinted out with a shout of glee as she threw herself into Matthew's arms.

"Hey, sis. I've missed you too." He said with a laugh as he held onto her just as tightly as she did to him. It wasn't a minute later that a small greying woman stepped out onto the porch, and stood with tears silently dripping down her face at the sight. Juliet placed the hand that wasn't on her protruding belly on Matthew's arm, and he looked down at her from over Cadence's shoulder with a heart stopping smile.

Juliet glanced back at the woman she could only assume was his mother as she began to walk towards them. As she stopped a few feet away, Matthew released Cadence, only for the skinny woman to turn to Juliet, and pulled her into a hug of her own.

"Are you done?" The woman asked with a strangled cry as Cadence pulled away from Juliet with a grin that mirrored Matthew's. Juliet looked up surprised as Cadence turned, and interlaced their arms so they stood side by side. The question wasn't harsh or accusing, but sounded sad. She realized that Joyce had not pulled her eyes away from her son's, and instantly understood what she was truly asking.

"Yeah, Ma. I'm done. I'm not going back." Matthew stated before the woman let the smile spread across her face at his declaration, and she pressed herself into his chest where he wrapped his arms around her. They stood there for a few minutes while Juliet bit her lip nervously, knowing the woman was going to turn to her soon. Like a nervous tick, her hand found its way back to her midsection and she began to gently rub the area slowly to calm the little boy who chose that moment to turn over, as he felt his mother's anxiety.

Juliet looked up at the house once more, and smiled as she took in the flowers, and life that surrounded the home. It was just how she imagined when she had been listening to the stories of his childhood; minus her lazy dog that was lounging in the sun, not caring that there were new people outside with his owners.

"Ma?" She heard Matthew ask, after the woman in his arms stopped crying. The sound caused Juliet to pull her attention away from the structure where the love of her life grew up, and back to where he stood next to her. She felt her heart skip a beat when Matthew pulled his gaze away from his mother and his beautiful hazel eyes met hers. "This is my Juliet."

*****************************************

Please don't forget to comment and vote!

Copyright © 2020 Ashley Breanne.