Clear: Part 17

Juliet understood when Matthew told her that he would have to explain her presence in the house to his work, but it disappointed her when he said he couldn't push it off any longer and had to do it right then. He locked himself in his office for hours, and she didn't see him again until the sun had gone down.

When she could not wait for him any longer, Juliet made her way to the kitchen to put together their dinner. It wasn't a surprise to see that a man as fit as Matthew only had various sources of protein and vegetables in the house. She had not found a single carbohydrate nor starch in the pantry, freezer, or fridge. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to stick to such a restricting diet the way he did. Then again, if she did, maybe her thighs wouldn't be so thick.

Whenever it was raining, there was nothing that made her happier than comfort food and a cup of hot cocoa. An hour after she stared cooking, Juliet pulled the cheesy, chicken, and broccoli casserole out of the oven and slid it onto the stovetop. Warm arms wrapped around her waist, and Juliet jumped from the contact, having had not heard him leave his office.

"It smells amazing in here." Matthew said next to her ear with appreciation as he pressed against her back to get a better look at the food in front of them. After the morning that they had, she was surprised that his arms wrapped around her still had the ability to make her feel weak in the knees.

"How did it go? Is your work mad that I am here?" She asked as she slid off the potholders and placed them on the counter. Warmth radiated off of him as she leaned back into his chest and placed her hands on top of his.

The knowledge that he could get in trouble from her presence did not sit well with her. She had picked up on the fact that it was 'the house' to him and not 'his house'. It made her wonder where he considered his real home to be. Her heart hurt at the thought of it being far away. As far as she knew, he only lived in Silver Falls for work, but she wondered what would happen if his employer gave him a different assignment, and he had to move away? What would happen if he extended his contract?

Juliet tossed that thought from her head as she realized it wouldn't matter to her if that were the case. He had said he would only renew his contract if he didn't find someone worthy of settling down for. If he did sign it, it would either mean that he had left her or that he was going to leave her. She wanted to be the woman he chose, the one who was good enough for him to turn down the offer to extend his employment. There was no doubt in her mind that there was not a woman out there who would ever deserve a man as perfect as him, herself included.

"It went how I expected. They understood why I brought you here with the severity of the hurricane, but I had to remove the cover from the camera." He grumbled with a pout, and Juliet flushed as she remembered the heat that burned between the two of them as he had carried her into his bedroom that morning. She would be mortified if there had been an audience to their passion. It was revolting to picture some unknown man or woman as they sat back in their office chair, and watched as she lost herself to the god-like creature she had been wrapped around.

Granted, he had taken the extra precaution to close his bedroom door for the main event, but she was sure whoever had been monitoring the camera still would've gotten quite a show from when they were in the hallway, had it not been covered. Juliet glanced toward the office and noticed that she could not see the room from where they stood.

"I was starting to get worried that you were in a lot of trouble with how long you were in there." She said as she pulled away from him to grab plates from the cabinet a few feet down. It was hard to push down the paranoia now that she knew the cloth had been removed, and it took everything in her not to check again to see if she was visible with her new position in the kitchen.