Chapter 8

A few weeks had quickly passed and it was now a month into the school year. Homecoming was the upcoming weekend, and the football team and cheerleaders have been working hard to prepared for it. Another event that weekend was the homecoming dance, and students were eager to know who was going with who.

Haewon had been busy since the day she went to the bookstore with Renjun. She had stopped going to the library, focusing on cheerleading and supporting her athlete friends. She was definitely feeling the stress of being in her senior year, but put it all aside for homecoming.

"Hyuck, you have to come." Haewon whined grabbing onto Haechan's arm. He shook her off.

"Nothing about this sounds fun. I hate football, I hate loud noises, and I hate dances." Haechan told her as they walked to class.

"You also hate people." Haewon muttered underneath her breath.

"What did you just say?" Haechan exclaimed, voice raising. This caused the younger students in front of them to turn around and to walk in the opposite direction.

"Nothing." Haewon said to him, flashing her bright smile. They walked into the classroom taking their seats.

"Haechan, you're coming to the game and dance right?" Jaemin asked him, leaning forward.

"Nope." Haechan said, taking a seat. Renjun and Jinah walked in to the classroom, causing Haechan to fix his uniform before being asked.

"That sucks." Jaemin said, sitting back in his chair. "Jinah, you coming?"

Haechan's ears perked at the question, waiting for the response.

"Of course I am." Jinah said, smiling at Jaemin. Haewon nudged Haechan, causing the boy to mumble under his breath.

"How about you, Renjun?" This time, Haewon perked up.

"I don't know, it depends on how much homework we get." Renjun said, coming around to collect their homework.

"You guys are no fun." Jaemin grumbled, crossing his arms. Jeno simply laughed at his best friend.

"Don't worry Jaemin, we know Haewon will be there for sure." Jeno said to him, causing Jaemin to smile.

"Jeno-ah, you know I have to. What type of cheer captain would I be if I didn't." Haewon said, smiling at the two.

...

Renjun was organizing his locker, a habit of his that he did every Monday after school. Organizing was something that always kept him calm but this time, he was getting annoyed from the girls gossiping behind him.

"I bet Jeno is going to ask Haewon to the dance." One said, giggling.

"They would make such a good couple. Football Captain and Cheer Captain." Another responded.

"I wish Jeno would ask me to the dance." A third said, sighing as she leaned on the lockers.

"I'm so jealous. I wish I was Haewon." The first one said to her friends.

"Yeah, but she's so scary. She probably has no heart." Their giggling was interrupted by the loud noise of a locker slamming shut. Renjun turned around to see the owner of the noise, which turned out to be a very angry Haechan.

"Don't you all have something better to do than gossip?" He yelled at them. The group of girls simply stared back at him. "Aish, my ears hurt from all your annoying voices." He said rubbing his temples. Renjun sighed.

"What are you doing?" Renjun asked the girls, their heads snapping to face him. "Scram," he said, nuging his head. They quickly ran away from the two boys. Haechan walked up to Renjun, hands in his pockets. Renjun rolled his eyes.

"What do you want?" Renjun asked the boy.

"Phone." Haechan said, sticking his hand out. Renjun exhaled deeply before giving it to him.

"Drive Haewon home. She's has an extra practice today." Haechan said, texting Haewon from Renjun's phone, telling her that Renjun would be driving her since he had to go home first.

"Why are you doing this?" Renjun asked him.

"I know you like her." Haechan said, passing Renjun his phone. "I also know that she hasn't visited the library since the day you took her to the bookstore because she's been so busy with cheerleading."

"That still doesn't explain anything." Renjun said, putting his phone back into his pocket.

"Look, she's my childhood friend. I know her like the back of my hand, she's like a sister to me. That being said, I know when she's not being herself and it always comes back to her neglecting her bookworm side." Haechan put his hands back in his pockets.

"Bring her a book, it'll make her happy." Haechan said, walking away as he spun his car keys on his index finger. Renjun sighed as he looked down at his phone.

...

Haewon was absolutely exhausted from practice. She dismissed her team, letting them go as she watched the football players. She spotted Jaemin running with the ball, Jeno waving his hands near the goal post.

"Jaemin, pass it here." Jeno yelled. Jaemin threw it, but missed, causing it to go over Jeno's head. Jeno simply shoke his head as Jaemin apologized. The two boys took off their helmets, shaking their heads that were dripping with sweat.

Haewon sighed as she turned around, looking at the bleachers for Haechan, who was no where to be seen. She checked her phone, seeing a text from Renjun.

Renjun
Haechan needed to head home. He asked me to drive you today.

Haewon smiled as looked up, seeing Renjun leaning on the bleachers. She walked towards him.

"We haven't spoken in a while." Renjun said to her as she got closer. He passed her a towel. Haewon took it, wiping her sweat.

"I've been busy." Haewon replied, feeling a pang of guilt. They walked towards the school.

"I'll shower and get changed quickly." Haewon said to him. He nodded, waiting for her. He was scrolling through his phone when Haewon came out. He put his phone in his pocket, exchanging it for his car keys.

"Ready?" Renjun asked her. Haewon nodded, following him to his car. Haewon opened the car door, seeing a sticky not that read For Haewon stuck to an object sitting on the seat.

"Huang Renjun, what is this?"

———————————————————————————

^ Renjun when he heard the annoying girls gossiping about his girl

^here's haechan being done with them too hehehehe