Chapter 10

Haewon's body was sore from cheerleading practice but she was feeling happy. Although she hadn't finished the book Renjun gave her, it still helped bring her mood up. She wore a smile as she took her seat at her regular table in the cafeteria.

"Can't believe it's already Wednesday." Jisung said as he sat down with Chenle.

"I know, homecoming is coming fast." Haewon said, taking a bite of her food. Jisung's eyes suddenly widened, causing the group to turn around to see Jinah and Renjun entering the cafeteria.

"Why is my sister here? She normally eats in the library." Jisung asked to no one in particular. The two members of the book club approached their table.

"Mind if we join you for today?" Jinah asked her younger brother. Jisung shook his head, sliding over.

"Take a seat, noona." Jisung said, patting the now empty space beside him. Renjun looked around, trying to find space for himself. He settled on the empty spot between Haewon and Jaemin.

"Haechan, if someone asks you to go to homecoming, would you go?" Jaemin asked the boy sitting beside Haewon. Jinah's head perked up at the question.

"Depends on who." Haechan said as he scrolled through his phone. He took a sip from his water bottle.

"Haechan, will you go to homecoming with me?" Jinah asked nonchalantly. Haechan began choking on his water as the rest of the table began staring at her. The cafeteria had suddenly quiet down, the only sound being Haechan coughing. Jinah calmly continued to eat her food as Haewon patted Haechan on the back.

"Excuse me?" Haechan finally said, finally able to breath again. Jinah put her spoon down, smiling at Haechan as their eyes locked.

"Would you like to go to homecoming with me?"

...

"Guess you're going to homecoming now." Haewon said as she smiled to Haechan, who was leaning his forehead against his lockers.

"Ugh, I don't want to interact with people." He mumbled, closing his eyes. Haewon laughed at the sight of her best friend. She got her training bag out, slinging it over her shoulder.

"I'll see you later, Hyuck." Haewon said to him, smiling before she headed off to practice.

...

Renjun sighed as he looked at Haewon practicing. Haechan had decided to bail on driving her again, passing it to Renjun. His excuse this time was "mental recovery from the events that occurred in the cafeteria today." He scoffed at the thought.

Renjun had just finished his shift from the library but it seemed like Haewon's practice was running late today. He decided to take a seat on the bleachers, pulling out his book since he already finished his homework during his shift.

"Faces girls, work on your faces! The team and crowd will have zero energy if you look like a zombie. We're already running over time so let's get it together for this last run through." Renjun heard Haewon yelling at her squad.

"Guess she's pretty intense." Renjun mumbled to himself as he flipped the page. He quickly gave up on reading as the loud music began blasting from the speakers. He looked up to see the cheerleaders practicing their movements. His eyes were locked on Haewon, watching her lead the group through a dance break. When the song and routine ended, the only sound coming from the cheerleaders was their heavy breathing.

"That was much better, good job team. Let's bring it in before I dismiss you." Haewon called out to them. After doing their cheer, the girls made their way to their locker room. Renjun felt a tap on his shoulder.

"I'm guessing Hyuck bailed?" Haewon said as she smiled to him.

"Yup." Renjun said, passing Haewon a water bottle and towel.

"You go first, I'll wait for you in the car." Renjun continued. Haewon nodded, running to catch up with the other girls. Renjun looked down at his phone.

Jinah
See, it wasn't that hard. I expect Haewon to have a date to the dance by tomorrow.

Renjun sighed, as he closed his messages. He made his way to the car, waiting for Haewon.

...

Haewon approached the white car, knocking on the windows. Renjun unlocked the car door for her.

"I hope you didn't wait too long." She said to him. Renjun shook his head.

"It wasn't long at all." Renjun told her, starting the car. He pulled out of the school's parking lot.

"Did you get to see our routine?" Haewon asked him. Renjun nodded.

"Yeah, you were really good." Renjun said to her. The small compliment made Haewon smile.

"Thanks for the book, it was exactly what I needed." Haewon confessed to him. She noticed a small grin spread on his face.

"That's good to hear. I'm glad Haechan's advice worked." Renjun responded with a chuckle. His face suddenly changed.

"What do you like about homecoming?" Renjun asked the girl sitting beside him. Haewon paused for a moment before answering.

"As a cheerleader, I love watching the crowd get excited." Haewon told him. "As for the dance, I just love spending the night with my friends, dancing our worries away."

"That sounds nice." Renjun said, smiling at the girl.

"Why, do you want to go now?" Haewon asked him. Renjun nodded.

"Yeah I do." He said as they pulled up into Haewon's driveway.

"Is there anyone you want to go with?" Haewon said, butterflies filling her stomach.

"Yeah, actually there is." Renjun said, as he turned the engine off.

"Oh." Haewon said, feeling her stomach drop. "Who is it?" She asked, glancing at him. Honestly speaking, she was afraid of the answer but asked anyways. Renjun turned around to face the girl, a wide smile on his face.

"You."

———————————————————————————

^Renjunnie when he realized Jinah actually asked Haechan to the dance