Quarantine

"I don't get why I have to do this guys." I frowned at my friends who is giving me a teasing look.

"Oh come on, Nat." Tony said while smirking. "You know it's Steve's birthday and seeing you is what he wanted the most."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"Tony, we broke up like a year ago. Why can't you just stop making a way for us to get back together again?" I said with a sigh.

Tony pouted along with Wanda beside him.

"But Nat, please? Steve still obviously loves you even if he doesn't show it around you." Wanda said. "Just give him his birthday gift and greet him then leave. It's nice to be greeted in personal you know."

I really think this is ridiculous. These guys keeps on persisting me to go to Steve when there is currently a Corona Virus outbreak and I still need to shop for a lot of things cause people are going crazy and paranoid.

Sheesh. No wonder the virus keeps spreading because they just can't keep calm.

Steve and I were together for like almost six years. We met at elementary school and became close friends. Steve started courting me in high school. Being with him was I think the best choice in my life. He cares for me a lot and pours me all the love he can give.

But when we reached our college year, we went to different schools and apparently didn't have time to be with each other anymore and we kind of.... grew out of love. Well... I did I think.

I always tried to set up dates for us that won't bother our schedule but he always say he's busy and leave me hanging sometimes. I understand him. He has his reasons.

But just like most human beings, I grew tired. Grew tired of waiting and feeling like I was the only one who wants this relationship to keep going.

My loneliness affected my grades so much that I failed one major subject and was devastated. That was the last sign. If he came and comfort me in personal, I'll stay. But if not, I'll end it. But he didn't. Said he was sorry for me through the phone and that I can make up for it in the next semester.

I was so mad at him but I didn't show it. I called him for us to meet and again he said he was busy but I forced him too. I can't let this keep going or else it'll become toxic.

I finally saw Steve after a lot of months that day. He kind of look different since I haven't seen him in personal for a long time.

I calmly said we should break up. Steve was shocked. Clearly not expecting what I was going to say.

"Y-You're kidding." He say. "Please tell me you're only playing with me, Nat."

The look in his eyes makes me want to take back what I said but no. I can't. I sighed and looked at him sadly.

"No, Steve. I'm not kidding nor playing with you. We need to stop this relationship or else this will ruin the both of us." I said taking his hand in both of mine.

"We lost time for each other. I know it's not only bothering me, but it's also bothering you. We need to focus on ourselves first, baby." A tear left my eye as I said that endearment. "Please tell me you understand."

I saw Steve bit his lip and looked down. Trying to hide the tears that started to fall from his eyes.

"I'll give you the space that you want, Nat. But please, don't break up with me. Anything but that please." His sobs brought pain in my chest. "Please don't leave me."

I released his hand and embraced him as tightly as possible. I felt him wrapped his arms around my small frame tighter and his head on my shoulder.