Chapter 10: Gone, I'm Sorry

Beep... Beep... Beep...

Ugh, what is that noise? And why do I feel so suffocated and stiff? What is going on?

Hiccup groaned in pain and discomfort as he tried moving. After failing to feel any better, he slowly opened his eyes, groaning even more as bright white light caused difficulties adjusting to. His head throbbed in pain, as if he had a splitting headache after having it slammed into a wall.

"Mr. Haddock? Can you respond?" He heard a voice call out to him softly. When his eyes finally got use to the lighting, he scanned the room. His vision was a bit blurry but otherwise great. It took him a while to notice a mask over his face, and an IV needle through his left arm. That's when it hit him: I'm at a hospital.

He turned his head to the left and saw a man in a white coat with a clipboard sitting next to him. He smiled warmly at the puzzled and groggy Hiccup. "How are you feeling, Mr. Haddock?"

Hiccup just stared at the man in confusion. "Oh, forgive me, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Doctor Grimborn, and I'm here to monitor and assist you on your road to recovery. The surgeon who saved your life was Doctor Gothi, unfortunately she won't be able to pay you any visits as she's always on call. So, how do you feel now?"

Hiccup was shocked. Surgery? What and why?

Doctor Grimborn noticed his shocked expression and sighed. "Mr. Haddock, I'm sorry to say this but the accident had crushed your left leg and it could not be saved so the region knee below has been amputated," he explained while gently lifting up the blanket showing Hiccup's leg. Hiccup froze.

"However, that was not the only injury you sustained. There was a crack in your skull after the impact of you hitting the signboard. Thankfully Doctor Gothi managed to save you from that injury, although you will have splitting headaches for the next few weeks. We placed you in a coma for a week to ease your pain and make the healing process easier and quicker. It is now Sunday afternoon. You also have cuts and bruises, like the gash on your forehead," he said while gesturing at Hiccup's head. "These injuries are minor and will heal in no time."

Well that makes sense, Hiccup thought. He was still confused by what the doctor was saying. Grimborn remained silent as Hiccup dug through his memories in an attempt to understand the whole situation. Suddenly all the memories of Friday night came back to his mind: the pharmacy, the fire, the vehicle. Dad.

"Where's my dad?"

Hiccup stared at the doctor whose gaze shifted to the floor, saying nothing.

"Where is my dad?" Hiccup repeated more forcefully.

Grimborn sighed. "Mayor Haddock was killed in the fire. All exits were blocked or locked deliberately to prevent him from escaping. The police are now investigating the case. I'm sorry Mr. Haddock."

Hiccup's breath hitched. His father was dead. Gone. His house was destroyed. He lost half of his left leg. And it all happened in one day. Anger started to rise as he thought about how someone had killed his father, and tried to kill him too.

All he could force out was "where will I go now?"

"Well," the doctor started, "there is a man who has been visiting you everyday waiting for you to wake up. He's not here right now as he was told to have some lunch before returning. He claims to be your godfather."

"Oh that would be Gobber. Yeah, he is my godfather and my dad's best friend," Hiccup replied with a small smile. He felt better knowing someone was looking out for him, although the thought of his father's death made him feel sick.