Chapter 31: Breaking News

⚠️Drugs usage is mentioned⚠️

*************************************

"I'm so sorry about your parents... I-I never knew what happened to them."

The two reunited childhood best friends exchanged their stories of the past few years, including the heart-shattering story of Astrid's parents. She couldn't help but tear up as she thought about them but thankfully she had Hiccup by her side, and also Stormfly who snuggled herself into her hair lovingly.

"It's fine, I'm sorry no one told you in advance," Astrid replied as she wiped a tear away and sniffled to herself. "But that does mean I don't have a reason to return to Berk anymore, besides, job opportunities are awfully tight there now."

Hiccup nodded softly as he listened to her, silently grieving her parents' death. Silence engulfed them, with only the sound of the television in the background. Astrid turned her attention to the program playing, still on Sherlock. Hiccup just watched her, his eyes riveted on her tear-stained cheeks as she continued sniffling softly. He turned back to the television for a moment, where the credits had just begun rolling and the theme song playing. Astrid, however, didn't look away from the boring screen of black and white, her facial expression unreadable.

Suddenly, she felt a warm huge bad wrap around hers, dropping her eyes to glance at it without moving her head. Hiccup's thumb rubbed the back of her hand gently, trying his best to show as much affection as possible with little actions. When he saw Astrid glance, he lifted her hand to his lips, planting a soft kiss. "Astrid," he started when he got her eyes on his. "I'm staying here."

His statement had caught her off guard. "But you need to get back to California, you need to get back to Berk where Gobber is. Don't leave everything behind for me."

Hiccup just gave her an assuring smile. "Gobber's retiring, he spent all his years of hard work without breaks just to travel the world once he does. Don't forget, I was planning to come here for my master's degree and chose the exchange program here to try out, which means I won't need to get back to California. Besides, you're right about Berk's job opportunities, it's getting too small for us to return, especially with you-know-who's father as the mayor," he explained with a whisper and hand cupped around his mouth at the end. "Also, that dog hates flying."

Toothless gave an annoyed grumble at being called out before rolling over on the ground, attempting to scratch his back on the mat underneath the coffee table. Astrid giggled at the adorable Labrador's behaviour before turning back to the handsome young man before her.

"So what do you say, Astrid? Would you give me a chance to make up for lost time? Would you give me the opportunity to win you over?"

Astrid sighed. "You know, you had me ever since the first day, Hiccup, and it shattered me when you ended us." Hiccup dropped her hand and looked down with defeat in his eyes. "But I'd love to make it work out again."

Hiccup raised his head again, this time with a sparkle of hope in his eyes. He found Astrid smiling back at him, a hand reaching to his face to cup his cheek. "I told you I love you, Hiccup. I know we can work it out."

Hiccup muzzled his face into her small hand with a contented sigh. They both slowly leaned into each other, Hiccup's hand running through her slightly damp gold locks. However, as their lips were about to touch, the front door slammed open, driving both animals in the living room insane while Windshear could be heard screaming from Heather's room.

It turned out to be the raven-haired girl dragging Snotlout by the arm with Fishlegs following closely behind, both boys obviously out of breath. The couple on the couch jumped apart at their sudden entrance and just gave sheepish grins when Heather laid her eyes on them. To their surprise, the panting girl did not take immediate interest with their relationship.

"Oh my God, Hiccup, thank goodness you're here too. You have no idea what happened," she blurted out quickly in one breath while the two boys sat on either side of the couple.

"Uh what's going on?" Astrid poked Snotlout's hefty arm which was sprawled on the sofa.

"Oh gosh, I can't believe that happened!" Fishlegs yelled in shock with exhaustion in his voice. That didn't seem to help the confused couple who were alone in the living room just moments ago.

"Will someone please explain what on Earth is going on??" Astrid yelled, turning to Heather who was coming out of her room with Windshear on her head. The bird hopped onto her arm and then the coffee table to play with Stormfly while Toothless sniffed at the newcomer curiously.

The green-eyed girl then flopped onto the couch directly on top of Hiccup, Astrid and Snotlout who was on Astrid's right. "Hiccup, your ex was just arrested on campus, no joke."

Both Astrid's and Hiccup's eyes widened in shock. He knew she was a reckless person, but had no idea that she would even break the law. His mind was whirling with thoughts when he recalled the incident that had just occurred moments before. She was smoking, it smelled unusual. It clicked.

"Repeated possession and usage of drugs..." Hiccup answered after a long period of silence. He glanced at Astrid who had her hands clasped over her mouth. "She was smoking cannabis just now, and I bet she was still smoking on campus."

"Apparently it was already her third offence in the last two months," Fishlegs piped up.

"Uh how would you know if you don't have access to such records?" Hiccup asked his chubby best friend who just pointed at Snotlout. He successfully shoved Heather onto the ground before he started gloating as usual.

"Well, after identifying the spiked drink at the party, the officers told me that if I kept an extra eye out I would have a guaranteed job once I graduate if I assisted with 'drug busts' without mistakes, of course just the reporting part," he announced loudly as he puffed out his chest. "So my fellow friends, I reported that blonde retard the last time as well and was told it was already her second offence, and I've already gotten the job once I graduate! Now my dad can't make me the mayor so I won't be a screw up like him."

"You think your dad is a screw up?" Astrid asked with a brow rose as Hiccup wrapped an arm around her waist while shaking his head.

"Of course, I never dared to say it till now that's all. Oh, and we should head to the police station now, the officers would want to meet Hiccup for some questions about that deranged woman."

"Don't you think 'deranged' is too harsh a word for her?"

"Shut up Heather, your brother is also deranged, just that he has a better brain."