Chapter 16: The Californian Gang

The weekend zoomed past and all students were now on campus attending classes. All four housemates were in their final year of their masters degree, last year before graduating and entering the full-time working world. All of them planned to remain in Australia to work, they felt that they would have a better experience than working in Berk. Unfortunately for Astrid, she wasn't completing her course this year. Medicine would require her to complete housemanship for a year, and then it'll take her another two years to become the paediatrician she dreamt of being. All her plans were in Australia, she didn't see the point of returning to Berk where she didn't have a family anymore.

Heather and Ruff walked off to their first lecture of the day, while Tuffnut made his way to the library. Astrid was left alone to get to her lecture. Tuffnut was into literature, while his twin was in love with chemical engineering. Heather's obsession for fashion led her to the path of becoming a fashion designer, and she sometimes experimented designs on her friends.

Astrid entered her first lecture and sat at the front row, her favourite spot in the hall. Unlike everyone else, she loved being able to interact easily with the lecturer, and it's also convenient for her to listen better.

Students started filling up the hall, avoiding the front row as usual. Another reason she loved the front row was that no one would sit next to her. She started scrolling on her phone, waiting for the lecture to start when suddenly someone plopped a handbag next to her. Astrid turned and looked up to the owner of the bag and realised it was Hiccup's ex, the Barbie as what Heather and Ruffnut called her.

A smirk was planted on her face as she gazed down at Astrid. "Well well well, look who's in the smart class. It's the stupid tour guide herself. I always thought the students selected were just being given a chance to redeem themselves or their poor results."

Her remark definitely made Astrid furious, almost launching herself at the girl before her. She wanted to know her name, now she regretted giving Tuffnut the list of phone numbers and names. She just ignored her and continued scrolling through her phone. The next minute she realised her phone was snatched out of her hand. "Why you-"

"Ah ah, you must look at me when I'm talking to you," the girl grinned, flashing her bright white teeth while holding Astrid's phone away from her grasp. "I hope you've been staying away from my boyfriend or else I will skin you alive."

Astrid grabbed the girl's arm with her phone and pressed her thumb deep into it. The girl gasped and dropped her phone, which Astrid caught before it hit the ground. She watched the girl collapsed onto the chair next to her while holding her arm in pain as the whole hall watched on. "Self-defence pressure point to paralyse the arm. The nerve spot right above the elbow, remember it people," Astrid announced to the onlookers.

She turned back to the girl. "For the record, I haven't even met your supposed boyfriend ever since the tour, and I heard that you guys broke up a long time ago."

That moment, the lecturer walked in. "Everyone take your seats right now. Ms Butowski, please leave my star student alone, I could hear you from the doorway."

Astrid smirked as the girl huffed and dragged her handbag away to a row above. Her surname is Butowski.

*************************************

Lunchtime finally arrived. The four friends would meet at the university cafeteria before going to a field to lie and laze. Unfortunately Astrid spotted Hiccup in the cafeteria, with the dog Heather told them about. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to react. Yes, he broke her heart all those years ago, but as much as she wanted to forget he existed, she felt horrible, especially with the fact that he was struggling with mental difficulties.

Luckily for her, Tuffnut showed up by her side and brought her to the table where Heather and his sister sat.

"Girls, the Barbie is also studying medicine, and her surname is Butowski," Astrid blurted out as she took her seat and opened her container of sandwiches. "Oh and also she tried to shame me in the lecture, but of course Jenny is always on my side. Thank goodness I make sure I'm known by my lecturers."

The small group laughed and chatted about their first classes, enjoying the moment together.

Across the cafeteria, Hiccup watched the group laughing. He stared at his first ex, his Astrid. Why did he choose to let her go? He sighed and poked his food with a fork while Toothless sat beneath him, whining softly at his sad owner as he rested his head on his lap. "I'm alright bud, don't worry, I just miss her."

Just then, Fishlegs arrived with his food, greeting Hiccup cheerfully. Not long after, a quarrelling Snotlout and Eret showed up. Fishlegs chatted excitedly about all his lessons, to which Hiccup nodded with a smile. He actually wasn't listening to anything Fishlegs was saying, he only stared at the beautiful blonde sitting across the room and recalled all their memories together. Fishlegs gradually noticed Hiccup's stare followed it. Of course he didn't recognise Astrid well, but he did notice Heather. "Guys look, there's Heather. Let's go meet her and her friends."

Hiccup stiffened. "Fishlegs no that's not a good idea." It was too late. Fishlegs was already up, dragging Hiccup and Toothless with Snotlout and Eret following behind.

The next thing Hiccup knew he was standing right behind Astrid, glancing at Heather with a look of fear and nervousness.

"Hi Heather! Care to introduce us to your friends?" Fishlegs piped up in a friendly manner. This made Astrid turn to face them, her eyes connecting with a pair of extremely familiar forest green ones, eyes she once fell for. She only knew one person with such piercing green eyes. Hiccup.

He looked afraid. He was hiding behind the chubby guy, again, who she guessed was Fred. Behind them were two boys, one of them being the short guy she slapped before the tour. She heard the twins groan from behind her, then Ruffnut whispered something to Tuffnut.

"It's freak midget."

Looked like everyone knew a little about each other, but it's definitely not going to be comfortable.