Chapter 25: Those Tears of Joy

Hiccup, Dagur and Toothless ran as fast as they could back to the ICU while trying to remain silent as they sprint through the corridors. Apologies were thrown whenever they accidentally bump into someone or get told off by a cranky patient but they never stopped running. When they finally reached the main doors leading to the ICU, Hiccup gave Toothless a silent command to stay, which the dog obediently obeyed to.

Hiccup turned to notice Dagur stopped right in front of the doors, hesitation holding him back. Both men still panting, Hiccup patted Dagur's back in assurance, hoping it would loosen his nerves. Dagur took a deep breath before pushing open the door, eyes immediately glancing at Astrid and the twins huddled around a bed across the room.

Dagur took long but soft steps as he strode up to Heather's bed, his heart racing from nervousness and the sprint he and Hiccup just had. He stopped at the foot of the bed and gazed at the form lying on it being covered by the embrace of Astrid and the twins. For a moment, both him and Hiccup stood at the end of the bed watching the scene unravel. Tuffnut and Astrid had eyes filled with tears while Ruffnut held her brother as if to comfort him with a small smile on her face. Her eyes glanced up to meet Dagur's that radiated fear and uncertainty. In reply, she simply smiled wider and nodded, signalling to both latecomers the news about Heather.

Ruffnut walked over to Astrid and gently pulled her away from Heather, whispering softly into her ear. Astrid's eyes rose to glance at her ex and best friend's brother, both worried and relieved. She stepped aside as Hiccup moved past her and held Heather's raised hand, not before giving the two blonde girls a huge comforting hug. He squeezed her hand gently as his eyes fall onto a tired pair of matching green eyes staring at him. He gasped out soft laughter as he watched her respond and smile through the gas mask on her face. He bent over and gave her a small hug, tears welling up in his eyes. "You're safe. You're ok," he muttered as he hugged her. "Soon you'll be kicking ass again."

After their embrace, Hiccup took a step back and encouraged his best friend's brother forward, sensing Dagur's fear. At this point he had burst into tears while watching his 'brother' bond with his dear sister. Astrid walked over to him and held his arm, slowly bringing him forward to Heather's side. Once he was there, she went back to Hiccup and hugged him as Ruffnut had gone back to take care of her emotional twin.

Astrid buried her face into Hiccup's chest as her tears continued flowing, too excited to contain them. Without returning the hug, Hiccup chuckled in relief softly as he stroked her head with a hand gently. "Told you she's a tough cookie."

Astrid nodded without looking up before replying. "And she'd go through hell just to be with us again."

With Astrid silently crying, Hiccup turned his attention to the two siblings talking softly and slowly to each other. Dagur had been given a chair to sit by his dear sister as he held her hand and cried. Heather too had teary eyes as she listened to her brother speak in a serious tone. A while later, they hugged and Dagur kissed his sister's head before the doctors told them to give her some space before they were allowed to meet her again.

The small group was now gathered in the corridor outside, most of them feeling better but Dagur was still emotional. Astrid tried her best to comfort him while Hiccup called Fishlegs to tell him the news. None of them spoke among each other as the awaited the doctor's next instructions.

It felt like ages before the head doctor finally emerged through the doors, looking for them.

"Right now, Heather has gone back to sleep as she's extremely exhausted. She will be awake again tomorrow. In a few days when we believe her condition is better, we will move her to another room where she can have her own privacy and won't be hooked up on breathing equipment. There we will monitor her until she's regained her health and strength to go home," the doctor explained in a friendly demeanour. "In the mean time, whoever that has been staying here can be with her until she is fully discharged. The rest of you must still follow our visiting hours."

Everyone nodded as they made mental notes from her instructions. After a long pause, Astrid broke the silence. "Doctor, thank you so much for saving our friend. This means so much to all of us, especially Dagur."

The doctor smiled sweetly at Astrid and then at Dagur who was still sniffling. "It's what I do dear, I do whatever it takes to save lives. Can I have your contact details so we can reach out to you easily?"

"Sure." Astrid and Dagur exchanges numbers with the doctor, who kindly told them to call her Mala instead. She then told them get back home to get good rest after what she knew was weeks of worrying. There they wished Dagur good night before getting to Tuffnut's car and dropping Hiccup and Toothless home before they got back to their apartment.

Astrid flopped onto her bed for the first time in more than a month with a grin on her face, knowing her best friend is alright. She lay down on her bed for a few minutes and just like that she was out like a lightbulb, before dinner time. The twins didn't wake her up for their meal knowing she needed the long rest more than anything.

Best friends often turn into a family of their own to love and support each other no matter what. Even through Astrid and Hiccup's break up, Heather shutting out Hiccup and Dagur's constant recklessness, the four of them will forever have each other's backs.