Chapter 18: Facts from Eret

Life went on as usual. No matter how much Hiccup wanted to turn back time life still had to go on. Weeks went past and they still hadn't warmed up to each other. Heather was starting to get frustrated, one reason she agreed to introduce Hiccup's friends was for Astrid to finally forgive and talk to him again.

Hiccup definitely wanted to talk to be comfortable with Astrid like the good old days, but every opportunity he had she would run off pretending as if someone had called her. It broke his heart, thankfully Toothless was always by his side to lift his spirits. His friends too tried their best to encourage him, although every time he's ignored by Astrid they couldn't help but feel guilty for hurting him. Well, everyone except Snotlout. All he did was attempt, and fail, to get the girls' attention.

It was now a Saturday, and Heather had arranged to go out to lunch with Eret near the city's library where they needed to look for reference books. The rest of their friends decided to stay home, while Fishlegs went to visit some of his relatives on the outskirts of the city. It was definitely her first time meeting one of Hiccup's friends without him, and decided to find out about how Hiccup is behind the scenes.

They walked towards the library, Windshear perched on Heather's shoulder while they munched on a burger each. Outside the library, they sat on the grassy field at the entrance to eat. Windshear hopped off her shoulder and onto the grass, rolling about before hopping back onto her owner's lap, trying to steal some of her bun. Eret laughed at the little parrot goofing around and took out a packet of sunflower seeds from his packet before feeding her some. Windshear immediately hopped of Heather and dove for the seeds Eret had scattered on the ground.

"So Eret," Heather started. "Tell me more about yourself. I have to say that you're the quietest among all of us and I don't know much about you except that you're American and you're studying computer science."

Eret chuckled. "My life isn't interesting in any aspect man. Born in Los Angeles, grew up in Los Angeles, studied in Los Angeles, met Hiccup and the others in Los Angeles. Never left that city, I only lived with my dad and he hates travelling. In fact, this is my first time out of the country and the decision to come here was just to explore the world."

Heather just smiled back at him. "Well it seems like you made the right decision."

"Of course it is, besides I wouldn't have met you guys, and I don't have any other friends back in California, only Hiccup, Fishlegs and also Snotlout even though we're always arguing."

Heather sighed. She turned and gazed at the street ahead of them, a tram departing from the stop in front of the library. Windshear was still munching away on the grass, occasionally scratching herself.

"Eret, do you mind me asking something?" Heather asked softly.

Eret turned back to her and nodded. She sighed again. "How was Hiccup actually like the past few years?"

Heather noticed Eret's jaw clench as his gaze turned back to Windshear asking him for more seeds. "It's... complicated."

"Uh how?"

"You see, when I first met him, he was extremely cautious and mysterious." He scattered more seeds for Windshear before continuing. "Of all people, he stuck with Snotlout. I guess it was because he was the only other person he knew. Oh and he had Toothless on the first day of orientation, which resulted with him receiving really negative comments and feedback from other students. That's why he didn't bring Toothless with him during Astrid's tour.

"It took Fishlegs and I ages for him to open up to us, more than three years. He never spoke to anyone besides the few of us, never went out except for groceries, and never wanted to walk the streets on his own. And then one day, out of the blue, he announced that he had a new girlfriend.

"Prior to that he had told us about Astrid, we just never knew her significance in his life. We just shrugged her off as a high school sweetheart sort of thing that didn't mean anything. Suddenly he shows up telling us this unbelievable story of him and Butowski, Fishlegs and I never liked her, but we supported our brother all the way through with his decisions."

Eret shifted his weight and made himself in a more comfortable posture before looking at Heather. "Fish and I knew something was fishy, no pun intended. Those two never behaved like a normal couple. They never even held hands, and also no other forms of closure. Sometimes I wondered whether Hiccup actually liked her...

"The fact that she eventually cheated after all her abuse on him and poor Toothless obviously showed who she really was, with us forcing him to dump her. It is true Hiccup never actually had feelings for her, he said so, but what she had done seemed to have affected his mental health horribly. I spent the last year trying to find out what was it about her that he had forced himself to date."

He glanced at his watch for a moment. 1.34pm. Not too late for anything. He turned his attention back towards Heather who had Windshear perched obediently on her shoulder again. His eyes locked with hers, full of seriousness and also caution as he prepared himself for what he was about to say.

"Until now I wondered. Until just about two or three weeks ago. Why Butowski, a girl he had no idea about, who turned out to be an abusive and possessive freak and a snot with her head stuck in all the glam she has around her walk in wardrobe. Honestly, what could he have seen? The thing is that he never saw anything in her. She was just another girl to him. But there is something."

Eret cleared his throat and took a deep sharp breath. "Take a guess, Heath."

Heather just shook her head.

Eret released a soft chuckle, making his companion raise her eyebrows in suspicion. There was a short pause as he stared at the next tram zooming by. "Long blonde hair, sapphire blue eyes, small button nose," he remarked as he pulled out a finger with each point stated. "Those describe Butowski. Sounds like similar features, right?"

Heather gasped. Windshear cocked her head to the side as if interested in the latest gossip.

"Yes Heather, Hiccup's still madly in love with that girl."