eleven · hurts like a knife

KAI

Why couldn't Jay fight back?

How did Pixal freeze over?

Who destroyed Zane's systems?

Did Pixal and Zane fight?

What happened?

When they looked for answers, they only received more questions.

The Ninja brought Pixal and Zane back to the Bounty, where Wu was hit with the horrendous news. They returned to the Monastery just as light fully shone over a quiet Ninjago.

They buried the Nindroids next to Jay. A simple plaque was on each of the graves; Kai, being the blacksmith of the group, forged the words onto heavy rocks that sat in the dirt. He had been hardly able to see the stone as he engraved the words, tears running hot and fast down his face. Any of the other Ninja could probably do it, but he had volunteered himself even though every fiber of his being wanted to say no (to this). He mostly volunteered because he knew his sister would have done it, and he didn't want Nya to have to go through the agony of writing the gravestones.

Kai flicked water from his cheek, methodically feeling the scars running down the right side of his face. Tiny spots of green peeped up from the still-fresh dirt of Jay's final resting place; he wondered how fast it took for clovers to grow. It was ironic, how there was life thriving in a place for the dead. The biological function of the world was the least of their worries. The Fire Ninja let these weightless thoughts carry him away from reality, trying to ignore the hard dirt beneath his feet.

In the back of his mind, he wondered what would happen to the elements of Ice and Lightning. The Ninja had nobody to pass it on to (at least Kai hoped, otherwise Jay would be in huge trouble whenever Kai journeys to the Departed Realm). Did their powers return to Lloyd? Did they just fizzle out, never to be used again? Or were they passed on to an unsuspecting child who would have to grow up to be a warrior for Ninjago?

It didn't really matter. Whatever happened to their power happened. Jay and Zane and Pixal were not replaceable like powers could be.

NYA

A day later, there was no more water on the Bounty. Not a big deal when the Master of Water was there, but refilling a massive tank with freshwater wasn't as easy as it seemed.

The gas was also running low. When the Ninja had gone down to Ignacia four days ago, they were on their way to get supplies after visiting Ray and Maya when Jay needed help.

Nya couldn't stop beating herself up about leaving Jay behind. We should have stayed. We're a team. We don't leave each other behind. And now he's gone, he'll never return, and especially for the-

"Er... toilets won't flush."

Her train of thought was thrown off the rails when Cole sheepishly approached Nya, who was training on the deck. She had been training for who knows how long, sweating and attacking training dummies like her life depended on it. Better than sitting in the bunks, crying her eyes out, and being useless.

She wiped sweat from her brow and picked hair away from her face, plastered to her skin from all the perspiration. "Please don't tell me you ate the expired cake. We baked that two weeks ago for Kai's birthday, and-"

"Oh, no no no. Not that. I chucked the cake," he said regretfully. "And no, I didn't eat it. I think the water tank must've gone out. I couldn't turn on the sinks either."