twenty-three · big news, sis?

WU

For a second, he almost walked away.

Almost being the key word. He wanted to leave the empty room behind and get off of the too-quiet ship. But he remembered that the Ninja wanted him to open them. He would be able to deal with it for them.

He opened Lloyd's first. The tie was done neatly and the top of it was sparsely dotted with dried water drops. Inside there was his black hoodie, the one that had white ribs painted over the green 5. Underneath that was a good-as-new textbook with a thick spine: "THE HISTORY OF NINJAGO", written by someone named Harper O. Several sticky notes in varying shades of green tabbed different parts of Ninjagian history. Flipping to one of the tabs, Wu read the neat print crammed into the tiny slip of paper:

Befriended Pythor.

The tab was placed over a paragraph vaguely explaining how Lloyd's 'friendship' with the Anacondrai general led to major battles and the rise of enemies.

A section later on titled "ZANE'S SACRIFICE" had several tabs stuck onto it. Most of them were noting things like: Should have stopped Zane. Should have helped Kai.

Another tab read: Fell for Princess Harumi.

Further along in the book, Wu found a note: Incorrect: The Mask of Vengeance's destruction was not confirmed, I think? Possible mission in the future.

Lloyd had marked all the things he felt he could have changed. Not for the first time, Wu felt guilty that the Green Ninja felt responsible for just about all the bad things that happened to Ninjago- at least, that was what it seemed like, based on the mass of green tabs throughout the book.

In Cole's lock box he found a souvenir keychain of the Fang Blade trophy cup, a black-and-white hat, and a fake mustache. There was also a thick stack of envelopes that Wu didn't touch-- he knew they were letters from the self-dubbed Phantom Ninja, Seliel.

Zane kept his original blueprints in his box. The stack of blue papers were worn and creased as if they had been folded and unfolded many times. Careful to not rip them, Wu placed them back inside the box.

Next was Kai. Surprisingly, the fire Ninja's lock box had rather humble contents. The leather smithing apron, burned in many places, had been neatly rolled up and placed inside. He also had a lapel pin from Master Chen's Noodle House, but instead of a waiter's name, it read "FIRE BOY". Undoubtedly a gift from Skylor.

Unlike the previous two lock boxes, Jay's was filled to the brim. The moment Wu undid the knot of the sash, the lid sprang open. There were about eleven different gis tightly bundled up and crammed inside and a handwritten note was on each one.

Kicking snake butt like a boss. Oh and I turned into a snake and got my true potential, yay!

Kicking snake butt... again?

More snakes, except these guys can PUT THEMSELVES BACK TOGETHER. THIS WAS SCARY.

Some stupid gift from psychopath noodle man in attempt to make us look pretty before we die.

Stone people are hard to beat.

When we went skybound. The others don't remember this. Thankfully this didn't actually happen.

There were more, but Wu stopped at the black gi with the golden buckles. He had an odd sense of déjà vu before realizing what it was from- it must have been during the time when the Ninja fought Nadakhan. He didn't remember fighting the djinn, but even through the blue paper he could tell that something bad had happened. Jay had managed to somehow erase those events, but his remembrance of it had led to his end.

Painfully, Wu moved on. There was a badly damaged one that simply read Originally worn during the reign of Lord G, then to the First Realm.

Another thing he didn't really remember. The sensei had been turned into a baby and though he wished he did, he honestly didn't remember most of his journey with the Ninja through the First Realm.

As he put the box back in its spot, Wu laid out all the photos he had found. In every single lock box, every Ninja kept at least one photo inside. They were of the team, their significant other, and their parents, if possible. Jay had a photo of a blonde woman standing with a dark-haired man, the woman holding a small child in her arms. They looked vaguely familiar but he couldn't quite place names to their faces.

The family of the Ninja smiled up at him from the massive collection of photos, constricting Wu's throat more than it already was. He promised himself to hang them all up in the monastery to be remembered-- the Ninja were not the only ones who were lost. All of those people were petrified or worse, and Wu guessed sadly that they would be in the Departed Realm sooner or later.

He picked up the last lock box.

Nya's.

He wasn't quite sure why he had saved it for last, but he had. And upon opening the lid, he tried to not be fooled. He had learned to not judge things too quickly, and this was no exception.

Two photos were on top- one of a young Kai and baby Nya with Ray and Maya outside the Four Weapons Blacksmith, the other being of Nya and Jay posing with their Yin and Yang pendants. Her Yang half was not in the box as it had been with her when she died.

Underneath that, there was a white paper folded in thirds. As he unfolded it, one box of information caught his eye immediately.

Patient Name: Nya Smith

Age: 17

It was for some sort of test. But what was the test for?

He looked back at the top of the paper. In a neat, thick font, it read NINJAGO CITY HOSPITAL.

NYA

"-but with Jay's death, I forgot to tell you."

It's not a big deal. They won't kill you if you tell them.

It was hard to believe that when her brother looked incredibly suspicious of her as she rambled on, trying to avoid actually telling them the news.

"So what actually is the big news, sis?" Kai asked, his arms folded across his chest. Nya gulped. "You never said what it is."

"Um... okay I have no idea how to say it simply," she muttered, feeling her teammate's gazes on her face.

"Just say it," Zane encouraged. "If Kai wants to kill you, we are already dead, so you are safe."

"Thanks. That's very reassuring." She took a deep breath and forced herself to blurt it out.

"I took the test-"

"What test?!"

"-a while ago and right before Jay's death, the results came in and-"

WU

PREGNANCY TEST RESULT: POSITIVE

Congratulations!

Instead of making Wu happy, it made him incredibly sad.

Jay and Nya were going to be parents?

disclaimer: don't focus too hard on the details and specifics of certain things (tests), i totally made them up adjfdgsjs - sky