Chapter 4: Secrets.

A couple months have past since I told Dani to keep our relationship strictly professional. She's stuck to her word but she's also been an amazing person to work with. I always loved being in control of everything, but I came to find that I was beginning to trust Dani's business judgements, sometimes even more than I trusted my own. Now that's a scary thought.

The only downside to being around Dani is the nagging feeling I can't help but notice in my heart. I've tried pushing it down, as far down as I could manage. I thought it would be easy, considering I've been pushing the secrets of my past life down, latent till the day I die.

But... I can't.

So I did the next best thing; I began to ignore her. If I couldn't trust myself to not act upon my feelings, then I may as well not give myself any opportunities to be around her.

I thought she didn't realise, me locking myself away in my office (she had her own office now so I assumed she'd just spend her time in there). But I was wrong. I know we're meant to be business partners but I just couldn't be around her - it's better for both of us that way... Or so I thought.

She began coming in to work earlier than she was scheduled. At first I thought she was just doing it to get ahead of paperwork and what not, but then she started trying to catch me walking to my office in the mornings.

And today was no exception.

***

I swiftly entered the office building, nodding at any employees I passed, not really paying much attention to my actions.

Work had been eerily calm for the past week thanks to Dani's meticulous hard work into getting everyone to actually do their jobs. I think the boys at the office were still trying to impress her despite her obvious repulsion towards the opposite sex. Although we weren't really speaking, I hoped she understood my silent gratification towards her. I was a good Boss, I knew that. But just knowing she was there, supporting my decisions, gave me a new found sense of peace.

As I reached my hand out towards the handle of my office door, a soft touch on my forearm stopped me.

"Hey. I think we should talk." Dani said, in a soft voice, her eyes searching mine for something unbeknown to me.

Why was everything about this woman so soft?

"Sure." I broke our eye contact before I lost myself at sea in her stare, opening the door and stepping to the side to let her through.

Her body grazed past mine, heightening my senses. I'm trying so hard not to let her get to me, but I really don't know if I can last much longer alone in a room with her. She better make this quick.

She leant on my desk, crossing her arms over her chest. "I know you've been avoiding me Alex."

I leant my back against the door, needing the support to get me through this conversation. I didn't dare reciprocate her look, instead choosing to inspect my feet.

She sighed, realising I wasn't going to respond to her anytime soon.

The next thing she did caught me completely off guard.

She began to walk towards me, slowly, until I finally gave in and looked up at her. Once she caught my attention, she began undoing the top buttons of her white blouse.

"It's a little...hot in here, don't you think?" My eyes widened, not daring to blink.

"...What-t... What are you doing?" I finally responded, not even bothering to hide my stutter.