Chapter 9: Perplexity

After all the events unfolded, Carson and my... mother left the room, leaving me and Dani alone together for the first time since she woke up. We were sat a foot apart, staring at the bleak wall ahead of us. 

I knew that it was the time to explain my past to her. No matter how much I didn't want to reminisce on those days, I was left with no other choice.

The first 30 minutes were complete agony, neither of us knowing where to start or what questions to ask, until eventually I caved in.

"Dani... I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. I just..."

"You just, what?" She replied coldly, not even turning to meet my gaze. Her detachment caused a dejected pang in my chest.

This was never meant to get out... Beck was meant to be dead. 

"Let me finish that sentence for you," She continued before I could gather my thoughts and explain myself. "You lied to me, the whole time we were together."

"No I-" She interrupted me; "NO, Alex!" Her sudden loudness instantly caused me to bottle up. She had never, ever, raised her voice at me before. I shrunk further away, increasing the distance between us.

"I know it sounds hypocritical of me, considering I, too, was lying to you when we first met, but I told you the truth eventually! As soon as I realised there were genuine feelings involved, I knew I had to be honest with you." She let out a humourless chuckle. "But I guess I misjudged those 'feelings'. You've been playing me as a fool this whole time. I don't have any idea who you are... Beck." Her tone turned desperate, her voice breaking when she muttered my true name.

And it broke my fucking heart. 

The same heart I thought would never be fixed after my traumatic childhood. The same one that I never thought would be capable of loving again. Yet I found the possibility in her, in Dani. In the period of time we were together, she slowly began to mend the irreparable. 

But inevitably, those who you love are those who have the power to break you down further than you could ever imagine. 

A lone tear made its way down my face. I didn't bother wiping it away. 

"Please Dani... I'll tell you everything. Please just hear me out. Please." My begging was a hoarse whimper. 

The self-asserted Alexandra Brooke was reduced back to the feeble mess that was dragged from death... Beck was back. 

And she was weaker than ever. 

***

After further failed attempts at getting Dani to listen to my explanations, Carson once again opened the door, breaching our confinement from the outside world.

"You." He pointed at me. "Up, and follow me." He demanded. 

At this point I was beyond unable to verbally argue, but my rebel self sat diligently in silent refusal. His indignation fuelled my behaviour; With every passing moment his lividity grew, as well as the effort it was taking me not to burst out laughing.

I've definitely lost a screw from my head throughout this whole ordeal.

"Just go." 

I wouldn't have heard the small voice if the room wasn't dead silent, but of course it was. 

"What?" I asked in disbelief. 

How could Dani do this to me? I know she's pissed at me, but this is ridiculous. Who knows what could happen to either of us when we're alone?

In a fit of anger, I decided to do exactly what she told me to do.

I left. 

I left the love of my life alone with the man who caused her to be beaten to the pulp and who threatened rape just hours beforehand.

Girlfriend of the year award goes to me, no doubt.

***

As I walked out of the door, or more accurately, limped, I ran into a muscular man standing guard outside. He grabbed my arm tightly, pinching the bruises.

I submitted without a word. 

If they want to kill me, so be it. 

We walked down a long corridor, eventually reaching the end and turning right. He pushed me through a set of wooden double doors, causing me to simultaneously stumble whilst letting out a strange hissing noise in response to the intense natural light.

"I see you're as classy as ever, Beck. Some things never change." She spoke.

After my eyes adjusted to the new room, I realised we were in a master bedroom. Ahead of me was a plush queen size bed, upon which my mother was sat. 

"You can leave us now." She directed at the guard who dragged me here. He immediately left, shutting the doors with a loud thud. 

"As much as we need to talk, you need to get out of those rags." She gestured towards a large walk-in wardrobe. 

I walked over, her following behind. 

"These are mine, but we've always been roughly the same size so you should be okay. Wear whatever you want."

After a few moments of awkward silence, she left me alone in the wardrobe. My eyes searched the copious amounts of clothing which hung around the room.

My mother used to love clothes shopping. My dad would always be hauled to the sprees with her. I still remember how cranky he would get having to push me around in a pushchair whilst she would fulfil her hearts desire with fluffy sweaters and high-waisted jeans. 

My heart ached at the memory. 

***

After a little deliberation, I eventually settled on a grey turtleneck and some simple black skinny jeans. 

As I walked out, I was greeted by an abhorrent sight. My vision instantly blurred and I felt my heart race quicken. I was rooted into place, my feet disobeying my flight response. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't do anything apart from watch;

Carson's back was toward me. And his tongue was deep within Dani's throat. They were making out like their lives depended on it. 

As I looked on against my will, Dani's eyes fluttered open meeting mine. 

With her tongue still exploring, 

She winked.