Chapter 8: Family reunion.

I lay in astonishment as she walked into the room, heels clicking with every step.

I didn't even dare to blink.

This can't be real, right?

The last time I saw my mother she was in such a dire state, one would even say she was at deaths door. And yet the woman stood just mere feet away from me was far from that. Her long, toned legs showed off impressive calf muscles that flexed with each movement, her curvy waist was emphasised by a skin-tight leather skirt, and her face was full enough to be healthy, yet shapely enough to boast her high cheekbones.

There's no way she's the same person... I refuse to accept it. She must be a doppelganger or something.

"Car, would you care to explain what you're doing laying on the dirty floor with these ladies? You were meant to bring my daughter in, not whoever these two are." Her voice was stern and caused Carson to jolt up into a standing position. 

"Y-yes, I did as you asked. Someone was just deciding to be a pain, so I had to put her in her place." Her shot me an evil side glance. 

Now out of my state of shock, I regained enough of my wit to rebuke; "I wouldn't have been a pain, if you didn't threaten to rape me and my girlfriend!" 

"W-what?" Dani spat out quietly, likely still recovering from the drugs that were forced into her system. 

"WHAT?" The woman shouted. I witnessed some spit particles land on Carson's face. 

Serves him right, the bastard. 

"I know neither of these... fine ladies are my daughter, but that doesn't give you the right to fuck around with them like that, Jesus Christ Car, you're my husband now. You can't go around doing shit like this anymore. It damages our business reputation."

"Husband?" I asked exasperated.

Both of them ignored me, Carson instead choosing to shift awkwardly on his feet. 

"Well, actually... That is your daughter." He finally admitted, pointing at me. 

"What the fuck." Three of us simultaneously stated; Dani more in a shocking manner, whilst I sounded thoroughly aggravated, and the woman - my mother, had an indignant tone

The room was awkwardly silent for the first time since I woke up there. We all stole glances at one another, eyes flicking between a new person every few seconds. No one could find the words for the revelation that had just unfolded before us. 

"That's not my daughter. I refuse to believe that." She finally stated.

"Finally, something I can agree with." I uttered.

"Well, actually, you kind of look eerily similar." Dani avowed. I quickly turned my head towards her, wanting to send daggers her way but the exorbitant pain in my neck finally made it's presence known again. The adrenaline from earlier must've finally worn off. 

A pained expression fell upon my features, not going unnoticed by Dani. She attempted to scoot over to me, even though she was damaged way beyond my own injuries. 

"If you're telling me the truth, and this really is my daughter," The woman who may-or-may-not be my mother spoke up, her eyes turning dark as she spat the rest of her sentence out; "Then you better explain who fucking hurt her! Look at the state she's in!" 

Me and Dani were now huddled together on the floor. I desperately wanted to pull her close to me, but the afflictions on her body were preventing me from doing so. How the hell could she even be awake right now? The pain she's in must be unimaginable. 

"She, and that delinquent of hers, put up a fight, honey. I couldn't just let them get away with it." Carson finally said, although not in his usual cocky manner. He even refused to make eye contact with her, clearly unnerved by his wife's presence. 

She was clearly enraged, however instead of replying to him, she pushed past and made her way towards where me and Dani were sprawling. She squatted down in front of me, her face inches from mine. I rejected her advances to make me look at her, instead looking down at my torn clothes, until she finally reached a hand towards me, grabbing my chin. She forced me to look straight into her eyes...

The grey orbs I once adored and once despised, stared straight back at me, seemingly observing every detail of my irises. 

"It really is you, Beck." She whispered, yet Dani was still close enough to hear it. From the corner of my eye I could see the shocked expression painted on her face. 

Shit... I forgot she didn't know.

I closed my eyes, willing for the events of the past day to be a fabrication of my mind - just one of those dreams that feel so real you can't distinguish them from actuality.

Yet once I opened my eyes, I was once again thrown into the misery of reality. Forcing myself to steady my breathing, I looked straight back into "my mother's" eyes.

"You're no mother of mine. She died the day my Dad did."

She promptly let go of my face, stepping away from me. 

"The same way you died 2 years ago?" She averred.

Her bluntness took me slightly by surprise, but I returned her rebuke with a simple but curt, "Yes."

She slapped me hard, causing me to fall backwards. Dani caught me with her body at the last second. 

My cheek burned and my entire body ached - not only from the various forms of torture inflicted onto me latterly, but also from the burning desire of my emotions that demanded to be felt. At the forefront, was anger. Bitter, bitter anger. 

The woman who left me to fend for myself aged 14 stood in front of me, indifferent. The one who was too caught up in her selfishness to grieve, that she didn't give the time of day to feed her only daughter. No. Not just feed, but even speak to. Before this day, I hadn't heard her voice in 6 whole years

Due to her self-absorption, I didn't even get to mourn my fathers death. I was too busy finding scraps to keep my broken-heart beating. 

The anger was steaming within me, itching to be released. 

"I can see why you punished her now, Car. She's so oblivious to what she's caused, it would be almost amusing if the circumstances didn't involve me."

There she goes again, proving herself to be a fucking selfish bitch.

I was just about to lunge up and grab her smug face, but something stopped me. 

I looked to the side to see Dani pleading at me with her eyes.

"Please don't make this worse." She whimpered, and I seized up instantly. The look in her eyes was desperate and beseeching, betraying her usual cool composure, instead revealing the great pain she was in. The powerful woman I loved, who showed no mercy, was harrowed and debilitated. I saw some of myself reflected back at me; She was broken, mentally and physically.

And it was all my fault.