It's Always Been You

Guys I'm crying! I just helped a friend *cough cough* did the whole assignment *cough* and went to share it with her on Google docs so she could watch the process and stop asking me how far I was on the paper. And a few weeks ago I accidentally deleted this piece and didn't think I had a copy so I just suffered .... Low and behold cheating is apparently okay since I found out I had a copy! Jkjk cheating is not okay, I'm a bad influence. Don't be like me. Anyway sorry if you have already read this. But if you haven't please enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Come on Pete, just ask him. You know he would do anything for you.” Ned tried, watching his friend fidget under his gaze.

“I don’t know about that man.. what if it makes things weird? What if it makes Mr. Stark not want to be around me anymore? What if-”

“Stop Peter. You know Mr. Stark. You know that he cares about you. Remember what happened last week? I swear he would have killed that robber if you hadn’t been bleeding out.”

“Well yeah… but that’s only because he feels responsible for me.”

“Nope. I’m going to stop you right there man. Mr. Stark loves you. This conversation is pointless, just ask him. The worst that can happen is he will say no.”

“He’s right you know.” 

The two boys jumped at the unexpected voice. They looked over to see MJ staring at them from where she was eating her lunch.

“You see Pete. Listen to MJ if you refuse to listen to me.” Ned happily said smiling at MJ, who in return rolled her eyes and looked back to her book while lifting her sandwich to her mouth.

“Fine. I’ll do it.” Peter said begrudgingly, causing Ned to let out a sigh muttering finally under his breath. “Ned, you know I can hear you.”

Ned shrugged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Come on Pete, you have been quiet all evening. Is everything okay bud?” Tony asked from his work table across from the kid.

Peter jumped and lost hold of the web shooter he was working on causing him to toss it from hand to hand as he tried to get a grip on it again. Once he had it secured back in his grasp he looked up to his mentor, but as soon as he made eye contact he glanced away.

“Yeah, everything is fine.”

“You sure about that?” Tony watched the kid, scanning him over to make sure there were no injuries in sight; though to be fair he had already done so a dozen times in the three hours they had been together that evening.

“Uhm… actually I was wondering if I could.. well.. uhm.. so….” Peter trailed off staring intensely at his shoes. “Never mind.”

“Come on Pete, you can say what’s on your mind.”

“Uhm well..” Peter took a deep breath before looking to the man across from him, scanning his face before quickly blurting out. “Well there is this project I have to do on my biggest hero.. I wanted to do it on you but I’ll need to dress up as you so I was wondering if I could borrow some stuff for it?”

Peter watched as Mr. Starks face flashed with surprise but it quickly went blank again.

“Kiddo, I don’t think it would be a good idea to take a suit to school with you. It is a weapon after all.”

Peter couldn’t help but roll his eyes at his mentors words before responding. “No, Mr.Stark, I’m not talking about Iron Man. I am talking about you, Tony Stark. Tony Stark has been my hero since I was old enough to read, long before Iron Man was a thing. I was wondering if I could borrow a pair of sunglasses and a suit.”

Tony stared at the kid in front of him in amazement, “Me?” He asked pointing to himself. 

“Of course Mr. Stark. It’s always been you.” Peter said softly, trying to put all the emotions he felt for him mentor in his words. 

At that moment the dust in the lab was horrible because Tony felt his eyes tearing up. Yep, it is totally the dust. “Uhm, sure kiddo. You want to go look through my closet with me? I was thinking it was time for a break anyway.”

“Sure!” Peter jumped up as Tony stood and raced over to the man, quickly going in and stealing a hug, “Thank you Mr. Stark.”

Dang this dust Tony thought as he quickly blinked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“-that’s why Dr. Banner is my hero.” Ned finished his presentation with a small smile as a few of his classmates clapped. Peter sent him a thumbs up when they made eye contact.

“Thank you Mr. Leeds, good job as always!” Mrs. Webb said smiling. “Okay next, Mr. Parker.”

Peter stood up and walked towards the front of the room, sending a quick smile to Ned as he whispered a good luck in passing.

“Hi, I’m Peter Parker and my hero is Tony Star-”

“Hey! Sorry I’m late,” Peter’s classmates let out soft gasps as they witnessed The Tony Stark walk into their classroom. “Hey kiddo.” Tony walked up to his mentee and squeezed his right shoulder. 

“Mr. Stark? What are you doing here?” Peter asked confused.

“Well you were doing your project on me so I decided to come in person. I thought it was only fair since you borrowed my clothes.” Tony winked at Peter before turning to the teacher, “Hello teacher,” “Mrs. Webb,” Peter whispered to his mentor. “Right, hello Mrs. Webb. Hope you don’t mind me gate crashing but Peter here is giving his presentation on me, thought it only right to stop in. That’s okay right?”

“Uhm, of course Mr. Stark..” the teacher stammered out. 

“Cool, okay Pete. Let’s get this show on the road. I’m missing a meeting right now and I have about ten minutes before Pepper hunts me down.” 

Peter laughs and nods, “Of course you are. Alright, so as I was saying before I was rudely interrupte-” “hey!” “Quiet Mr. Stark. Again before I was rudely interrupted…”

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thank you Mr. Stark. You didn’t have to do that for me.” Peter quietly whispered to Tony as they were leaving the school after the final bell.

“Of course I did kiddo, and I would do it all over again.” 

“But you missed an important meeting today!”

“No, I made the most important one kid,” Tony said putting his arm around Peter’s shoulder steering him towards the car waiting at the bottom of the school steps. “I wouldn’t change what I did for the world. When it comes to what’s most important, it is you underroos, it will always be you.”