Chapter Three: The Works

The day of the party, I opted for the black jeans with paint on them and a white shirt that had small holes in different places on it. My hair was eve pulled back in a sloppy bun with a charcoal pencil keeping it together. I wasn't going to put effort into the party look, nor was I going to try and look any better than average. I refused to wear makeup to get his attention; guys should come for natural beauty not artificial.

Then again, I am trying to play the player so maybe I'm stupid for even trying to sound smart.

As I walked to meet Sarah at my locker she rolled her eyes. "You look like you're about to smoke a blunt and put flowers in your hair," I shrugged my shoulders in response and she whined. "Tell me you aren't wearing that to the party,"

"Do you want the truth or for me to lie?"

She threw her hands up in exasperation as she glared. "You have to be kidding me," I opened my locker with a sigh and pulled out my messenger bag, before grabbing my sketchpad and my finalized drawings' book. I was five drawings short for the project in my advanced art class, and that was the only thing I needed to worry about; well, that and Sarah having a panic attack.

"Calm down," I said as I held the two different books in my hand. "The plan is working okay, now if you'll excuse me...I'm going to my art class for the entire day." Sarah grumbled as she waved me off and I smiled. "I love you, Sarah Bell,"

"I love you too," She glared at me as I walked away.

With fifteen artistic pieces due by the end of the day, and five that I hadn't touched yet, I knew I was pushing my limit on how fast I could draw. I needed a drawing that reminded me of my childhood, one painting of an abstract object made from shapes, a charcoal piece having to do with a city at night, one having to be over something that reminded me of a classmate using acrylic paints only and a rough canvas, and the final piece had to be representation of something inside of me.

The only things inside of me were organs, so basically my creativity for that part of it all wasn't very thought out.

I walked into class and dropped my things down by my easel before placing my two pads on the stool. I locked eyes with my teacher, Mr. Welch, and smiled. "Today's not the best day," I said as I grabbed a piece of useless sketching paper from his desk.

"Last time I checked, Miss Smoak, you don't have year one art," His lips turned up into a teasing smile that I mocked. Mr. Welch was a very adoring man. His face was covered with a five o'clock shadow against his sharp facial features and his eyes were a deep green that reminded me of moss. He was very attractive for a twenty-eight year old college graduate.

"Well I am today," I scribbled the words on my excuse note and he smiled as I slid it across the desk to him. Mr. Welch laughed carelessly as he signed his name to the bottom and handed it to me. "I'll be back,"

I walked past other students as I headed out of the room and made my way to my first period. One of the many joys of being a senior was skipping classes. I just happened to have the great joy of skipping to do something I liked. I casually came into my first period and handed the note to my teacher.

"Just this once," She mumbled as her delicately aged hand, placed the note back between my fingers. "Thank you for at least asking," she scoffed and I pinched my lips as I hurried from the room and the bell rang.

"Hey look who it is," I looked up at the sound of a male voice and stared at Tyler with a smile. He nudged his friend before coming to stand by me. "What are you doing?"

"Skipping every class from the day except art," I mumbled and shoved his shoulder. "Get to class," he smiled at me before pushing me back lightly and walking away with his friend. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone before turning it off, Sarah was not going to be happy when she realized it was off.