11: "Must be hard, being so far away."

a/n: Apologies that this is a shorter chapter, it's kind of a filler one to introduce everything which is going on, I promise the next one will be longer.

I will try to update soon since this one is shorter - hopefully tomorrow! I've seen all of your messages haha dw dw I'm trying my best!

----------------------------------

in this part....

Why is Waverly ignoring Nicole's calls?
What has happened in Purgatory?
Nicole makes a big decision.

----------------------------------

Two months had passed since Waverly's brush with death, but that had far from slowed her pace. The young Earp girl had healed wonderfully. Although she was definitely still advised against any strenuous activity due to the fragility of her ribs, the bruises had faded quickly and - incredibly - no scars had been left behind. Since the incident they had rid the nearest town of a pack of werewolves, exorcised a developing church - which Wynonna had protested, finding it hilarious - saved a child from a possessed water snake and unbound a coven of witches from a primary school. Most importantly to Waverly though, her relationship with Nicole was stronger than ever. Amongst the chaos of their busy lives, the couple had set aside time each night for each other; a couple of nights a week became 'date night' with specific plans such as board games, or movie nights, or even romantic dinner's which they would both prepare and eat at the same time. Waverly had been the one to suggest the 'date night' idea, arguing that if they were together in person, they would have date nights, also secretly liking an excuse to get dressed up for her girlfriend. Other nights were just relaxed catch-up calls, updates on work, or funny stories of ghosts or angry elderly ladies. They had adopted the habit of falling asleep together, chatting until they got tired, and just refusing to hang up the call. Falling into a comfortable silence, they would fall asleep still on the call, and wake up next too - or as next too as possible - each other. Still, after two months though, Nicole hadn't visited. The redhead had been adamant, when Waverly left hospital after a couple of days that she should come and visit, just to spend time together, but Waverly had convinced her it wasn't the right time. The Baker case was ongoing and the pressure was rising exponentially, and they'd only seen each other a couple of months ago, it was better to wait until they physically couldn't anymore. Plus she was fine, so there was no rush anyway. As much as Nicole protested, she couldn't argue with the logic. It made more sense to wait until the moment was right and wouldn't be tainted by the constant stress of the case sitting like a deadweight on her brain, or they were beginning to loose the memory of the other's touch and needed it back. The moment would come, they knew it.

Except Nicole was beginning to worry the moment wouldn't come.

She hadn't heard anything from Waverly in four days.

----------------------------------

Four days ago at the Homestead...

"Doc you know as well as I do she wouldn't do that again. No matter how much she wanted to run away, I know she cares too much. Somethings wrong, it's different. I'm really worried about her." Waverly paced the homestead front room, her hand rubbing her forehead manically and her breathing fast.

"She's probably passed out drunk somewhere, but if it will put your mind at rest darlin', I will be right there and we can work this out over whisky and tea." He failed to hide his own concern with a jokey reference, as Waverly felt tears start to roll.

"Okay, just get here quickly." She spat out, hanging up before he could hear her crying. Almost instantly her phone rang again and she saw that it was Nicole. Shaking her head she declined the call, not wanting her phone to be engaged any longer than it needed to be in case Wynonna tried to reach her. She was supposed to be home five hours ago, it was 11pm now and she'd left the house at 6pm to get takeout. Sure, Wynonna got distracted sometimes, but she always sent her sister a text, and even if she didn't they could trace each other's phones, but Wynonna's was frozen on the last time she'd used it - at the homestead.