13: "We all do bad things but he... seems to enjoy it."

a.n: This was LONG to write, but it's a beautiful chapter I feel like, despite everything which goes on. I hope it's everything you wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in this chapter:

Nicole and Waverly have an important conversation.
Things heat up in the missing person case.
A shocking discovery is made - or three.

Where is Wynonna and is she okay?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wind roared against the external shell of the sparkling white plane speeding above the clouds, as the girls sat holding hands in silence for almost the entirety of the 2 hour flight. Waverly had tried to distract them from their thoughts by insisting they put on legally blonde, one of her favourite films. Realistically though, neither of them were paying any attention to the screen; Waverly was staring out of the window and Nicole was skimming her hands over the fabric chair, picking at loose threads. As usual everyone was trying to keep optimistic about the situation, they were a world ahead of where they had been yesterday, but none of them - particularly Waverly - could cool the discomfortable unease that they were on a plane plummeting towards her sisters lifeless body.

Nedley had received an extensive spreadsheet of property transactions around the Victoria area by 10am and collectively they had decided - due to financing and practicality - that Nicole, Waverly and Doc should be the ones to fly out to aid the search. Nedley was still needed in Purgatory, due to his position; Jeremy and Robin would be far more help with access to the research facilities, their expertise was easily shared via video call. Doc was incredible with a gun and had the upper body strength of a small gorilla and Nicole and Waverly were the driving force of the operation, not to mention being the most invested in the case and thus unlikely to just be able to sit back and let someone else take control.

Three hours later they had been on a plane headed straight for Victoria with plans to meet the Sheriff at the station and be briefed on the searches which had been organised. Unsurprisingly, upon contacting Sheriff Hendrix about the situation, he had been more than eager to jump on the case, organising some of his best deputies into groups assigned with scouting certain locations, tracking Michael Morgan and ensuring no one caught wind of the investigation. Nicole was quietly aware of her own fear and uncertainty and realised it could only be a hundred times worse for her girlfriend, the thought of which made her heart break. Ever willing to push her own feelings aside in favour of someone else, and also liking the sound of a distraction from her own mind, she squeezed Waverly's hand gently.

"Waves?" She cooed quietly as the younger girl turned back to face her, looking away from the never-ending whiteness of the fluffy mid-afternoon clouds.

"Mmmm" The smaller girl mumbled back looking up into Nicole's tender puppy-dog eyes and letting out a little involuntary breath at the sight.

"Tell me how you're feeling?" Nicole stated, posed more as a question than a demand, gently rubbing Waverly's hand with her fingers as Waverly instinctively lifted hers and locked them with her girlfriends. She shook her head.

"You tell me how you're feeling." She smiled softly and Nicole tiled her head to the side a little confused at the shift of focus, but decided to play along.

"Right now? Well I'm nervous obviously, I mean this case is important, but -" Waverly shook her head again and Nicole stopped.

"I meant how you're feeling... about us." Waverly bit her lip, looking shyly at her lap and it finally clicked in Nicole's head. It started to make sense why she'd been so quiet all day, other than the fact her sister was missing, she was still uncomfortable and guilty about the way she'd treated Nicole the week before.