Part 3 Maybe

3308 Words

After sliding the box over to me and opening it up I found what had to be a mistake. It had to have been meant for Max, not me. I mean who in their right mind would give me this sorta stuff? I started to pull the stuff out of the box trying to understand why Jack thought I should have this stuff. That's when I found a note with my name on it. I flipped open the folded piece of paper and started to read.

"Samantha, the facial recognition has been disabled in all devises. The only way anyone can access these are with a passcode. The passcode is your birth year. Change that ASAP. Your room is a faraday cage: nothing gets in or out. To engage your cage, simply close and lock all doors and windows. Please do that now before you read any further."

I stopped reading and checked that all the doors and windows where shut and locked. I went back to the bed and grabbed my cellphone and checked. There was no signal anymore. I guess it worked. I went all around the room trying to get a signal. I even went in the bathroom and next to the windows. But nothing was getting through. I went back to the bed and grabbed the letter and started reading again.

"If everything is locked up, I think it will be safe to explain a little. This stuff is for you, and it's already set up. All you need to do is change the passcodes and you're done. The iPad contains all of your work that you have done. The Apple Watch is also a cellphone and is connected to both the iPad and iPhone. I personally do not like the screen keyboard so; the case has a Bluetooth keyboard built in. And just for fun I grabbed you the gen 3 pencil as well. With your background I thought you might like that.

Your phone and watch have a Bluetooth network set up that links you, Max, and me together. I'm sure you know what that means. However, just in case you don't, that means that we can talk and send information back and forth to each other without using any cell signal or Wi-Fi. It's not perfect but it should be a lot harder to hack or be overheard. Downside is that we would have to be close enough to get the signal. The fix for that problem took me a while. On all of the cell towers in and around the city is a transmitter for our network. There are still some blind spots, but not that many.

This leaves us to your iPad. It is a standalone. There is no cell service chip. There is no Wi-Fi chip, however there is a GPS chip and a Bluetooth chip in it. It can only be hooked up to a computer using our Bluetooth network or a normal Apple cable. That should protect your work, I hope.
By now you are probably wondering why I would do all of this when you didn't even know me until today. Well, here is the short version. I have done this before. I have been sent back in time by you. I trusted you with my life more than once. Max knows nothing about any of this, but I think it's time to tell him. I know he is young, but I think he is the key to getting me out of this loop we keep doing. I know it's a lot to take in and you need proof. So, change your passcode. Check the information on the iPad. It will all be there, then come down for dinner. I will have proof that you can see with your own eyes."

I finished the letter, and I was shocked to say the least. I grabbed the iPad and turned it on. After I changed the password to something that no one would be able to figure out I started looking through what was on this device.

"Holly crap he knows. He knows everything about my projects." I said to myself as I was looking through the iPad. All my documents are here even my notes. I went to the picture app to see that everything I had been doing was caught. Then I saw something that I was not expecting: a picture of a woman and a man holding a baby. The man was Jack, but I didn't know who the woman was. The baby was a newborn wrapped in a white blanket. So, I couldn't tell the gender from the picture. Maybe it was a picture of Max and his family, but then why would Jack put it on this iPad? Maybe a mistake? I ignored it for now and kept looking. Everything I had tried to keep secret was on this tablet. All of my work was in one place right here in the palm of my hands. And Jack knew about it all.