Part 7 The talk

3564 Words

Max's POV

We all took seats in the living area and waited for Dad to start. 

"Ok kids, I guess the first thing I should bring up is......"  He began hesitantly before taking a deep breath and jumping in. "Why we are here. At least that would be the easiest to answer, but before I tell you I guess you need to know something. Something that is really hard for me to say. And I know you both will have a lot of questions after I tell you. So here I go."

    We both looked at each other wondering what could possibly be more important to tell us. I mean, we are on the moon for god's sake. That in itself is totally amazing. How many kids have looked up at the moon and wanted to go there? How many dreams were dreamed about going to the moon? And for the little kids, it was probably a question about whether or not the moon was made out of cheese. Or if you could talk to the man in the moon.

I think we both had at least some of the same thoughts. We both smiled and laughed a little as we made eye contact.

    "Stop right there, you two. No, you can't talk to the man in the moon. And it's not made out of cheese. As for dreams about going to the moon, probably a lot. Now can we talk seriously, or not?"

    We both stopped and stared at him. 

And that's when Sam said. "Fine you want to talk seriously? How's this for serious? How old are you? How about, how many times have you gone back? Or this one, what age did I send you back to? And the biggest question: why did I send you back? How's that for talking seriously?"
    Sam sat back on the couch and crossed her arms waiting for answers or a response of some kind. As for me, I was just trying to keep up. I didn't understand what was going on. At least not completely. But with those questions thrown out there I was starting to. A lot of what had gone on in my life started to make sense. All the times I almost got hurt. Not taking the bus one time. Dad's questions about what I have done all the time. Him knowing everything. Me never being able to keep a secret from him.

    I was stunned to say the least. I was thinking so hard about my past I didn't hear most of the conversation, just bits here and there like. "A few times" And "I quit counting" Then my name was brought into it. "Max was too young last time. But this time it has to be him, not me."

    "Wait what. What do you mean, it has to be me? What are you two talking about?" I asked in surprise as their words finally sunk in.

    "O look, he's finally back with us. What your daddy was saying, is that I should send you back in time to prevent the end of the world. You get to be a hero because your daddy can't." Sam explained much too calmly for my comfort.

    "He's not my daddy. He's my dad and..." I started to clarify. I am 15 after all.

    "Well, you better get used to calling him daddy again, because if he gets his way you, Max, you are going back in time to stop me from making a time machine. Or should I start calling you Little Max, because you're probably going to be somewhere around the age of a toddler soon?"

    "Samantha, quit being so mean to your brother." Jack scolded.

    That one comment shut everyone up. You could have heard a pin drop a mile away at that moment. We were all stunned into silence and awe. My mouth fell open and I couldn't hear anything for what seemed like forever.

    Then I heard what was being said.

    "He's my brother!!! And you're my dad!!! What the fuck, old man? You can't be my dad!!! Where the hell were you all my life? And all this shit you kept from me? I could have used some help before this!! What the hell where you thinking?"  Her voice kept rising with each question until she was shouting.