Unearthed

Draco

"What were you thinking?" I hissed, grabbing Harry's arm and pulling him roughly to his feet. He brushed his uniform down and flushed, staring at his feet.

"Well?" I hissed, holding him by the chin and forcing him to meet my eyes.

"I was sitting outside the classroom taking a nap."

"Don't lie to me, Harry," I whispered, closing my eyes. A dull headache was starting to form - how much had he heard? How much was I going to cover up?

"I was, Draco - trust me. I was underneath my Invisibility Cloak."

I opened my eyes and stared into twin pools of the brightest emerald. He looked so miserable that I had to believe him.

"Harry, this is very important - how much did you hear?"

The look on his face told me all I needed to know. I cursed venomously, running a hand through my already-tousled hair.

"I'm sorry, Draco, I honestly didn't mean to -"

"Shush for a minute," I snapped, shaking my head. I caught a glimpse of the hurt on Harry's face and cursed again, - it wasn't his fault; the boy had a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - but I felt angry, all the same. I'd told myself over and over to not get so attached to him, in case something like this happened, but I couldn't help myself - I couldn't stay away. And after we'd kissed....well, I'd promised that nothing would ever harm him, that none of the danger that always seemed to follow me would touch him.

I was wrong, and the thing I feared the most had happened.

"Harry, how much exactly did you hear?"

"Not a lot, Draco, I swear -"

"Harry."

Something in my voice must've struck home - he looked up, misery and fear etched deep into his eyes.

"Not a lot, I swear! I only heard you asking Snape for a potion -"

I inhaled sharply - that information alone could have him killed.

He spoke faster now, as if hoping that my anger would abate if he didn't keep anything else from me. "I heard how Snape kept refusing, and you - you showed something to him, but I don't know what it was. Snape agreed to help, and - and that's all of it."

I sighed, looking up at the marble ceiling. Harry could be hunted down and tortured for any type of information about me - which was why I'd sworn never to go near him. But sometimess, my resolve is weak. I couldn't stand the thought of living without him anymore.

And now...this. It was like I was paying the price for my selfishness.

 Harry checked his watch. "We - we need to go in now."

I shook my head. "No. You're coming with me."

Harry looked up, confusion marking his brow. "Where are we going?"

I grabbed his wrist and pulled him roughly away from the corridor. "Somewhere we can speak in private. There are a lot of things you need to know."

As we rushed down the hall and up a flight of stairs, my uncanny bad luck struck again, this time in the form of a Muggleborn and a redhead.

"Harry! We were looking for you -"

"Yeah, mate, we wanted to apologize for being so rude earlier -"