Triple That Six

Draco

“So, how’s it like?”

Harry rolled his eyes. “You need to be a tad bit more specific there, Malfoy. How’s what like?”

“Living with Muggles? How do you stand it?”

Harry laughed. “I’m not like you, Draco – I’m no Gryffindor Prince. Well, let’s put it bluntly – they’re a bunch of assholes.”

I arched an eyebrow at him. “Assholes. Huh. That’s the first time I heard you use that word.”

He sighed. “Well…there really isn’t any other word to describe them.”

“How about friends? Didn’t you have anyone you could talk to besides Granger and Weasley?”

Harry smiled a little, shaking his head. “The Dursleys were sure to spread rumours about me – no one in my neighbourhood dared to come near me. Everyone was too afraid of me.”

I frowned. “I don’t understand – what did your uncle tell everyone else?”

“He hates wizards, witches – magic in general. He’s so anti-magic that he tries to block everything out, stamp the life out of everything unusual. He told everyone who bothered to listen that I was from St. Brutus’s School for Criminal Boys, and everyone believed I was some sort of hardened hooligan.”

I clenched my fist, fury raging through me. “That’s garbage! And Dumbledore allowed this to happen?”

Harry shrugged, looking up at me. He reached up and tugged a blonde lock of hair over my forehead, smiling the crooked grin that had managed to win me over the first time I’d seen him in Diagon Alley. “I don’t worry about it too much – grew used to it, in fact. But…” His grin changed into something dark, a look I knew all too well – I’ve seen that same look in the mirror whenever I felt like playing a trick on anyone. “…that one time I did blow my aunt up. And there’s always the time Hagrid barged into my home, announced me a wizard, and gave my humongous fat lump of a cousin a pig’s tail.”

I nodded grimly. “Sounds like he deserved it! Now – tell me everything.”

It took a little over a half hour, but finally I – more or less – knew what happened during the past six years of Harry’s life. I also knew about the more personal details – like how Harry’s favourite candy was Chocolate Frogs, his favourite colour was blue, he liked to watch cartoons whenever the Dursleys weren’t home, and his favourite Muggle hobby was something called skating. It was a start – it made me positive that our relationship was slowly solidifying, even if it was a little rushed.

“Enough about me, Draco – what about you?”

I felt my smile slip away, and grimaced. Harry saw my expression change and took his hand away from my face. “Oh…I’m sorry. If you don’t want to, that’s fine.”

I shook my head hurriedly. “No, no – it’s just weird talking about my family to someone else. I usually just brag about the wealth.” I laughed a little dryly. “That’s all there is to my family, to be honest. We’re just wealthy. There isn’t any…substance.”

Harry frowned at me, searching my face. I stroked his cheekbone lightly, smiling.

“But…your family loves you, though. Don’t they?”

His question struck home – I swallowed past the lump in my throat.

“Father…he’s incapable of love, unless his love for wealth and power counts. Mother, on the other hand…she’s terrified of Father.” I paused, looking down. “And of me.”