C H P - 5

If only he hadn't.

----

With each class period that passed, the dread Kihyun had felt earlier that morning gradually disappeared from his mind, despite being so stomach churning that at first he felt nothing but sick. The sensation was definitely still there, though, sitting in his chest, waiting patiently for attention, yet he managed to keep himself distracted with thoughts of his school work and the drama his friends insisted on filling him in on--and by friends he meant Minhyuk.

"And then he totally just died!"

The hamster glanced down to his lap where Minhyuk laid, using his right thigh as a pillow. He never understood why his friends thought his thighs were so comfortable, but that didn't stop him from allowing them to lay on him during the periods that they spent outside, chatting about random crap. It wasn't like he minded, honestly; the act just reminded him that he was a good enough friend to be close to, both physically and emotionally. "Really? He just died?" he asked incredulously, sweeping his friend's silky blonde hair out of his eyes.

"Yeah, totally! There was blood and everything!"

"Min," Hyungwon piped up from Kihyun's left thigh, turning his attention away from the bright blue sky that he had been quietly studying. His eyes were like pools of emotion, and as the pink-haired male gazed at him, waiting for his next words, it seemed that almost every cloud that happened to float overhead reflected within his dark irises. It was as if, inside his mind, he already possessed a delicate world of his own. "That's not why Mr Min is gone today. He has a meeting outside of town; he told us this yesterday."

"That doesn't mean he didn't die on the way."

Letting out a deep laugh, Changkyun pushed himself away from the tree trunk he had been leaning against and sat himself down in front of Kihyun, between the two lying down. He ran his fingers through the grass, eyeing it only momentarily, before looking up towards his friend. "Who's your closest friend?" The question was sudden and way off the topic of Mr Min being carried away by a pack of evil gnomes, but it seemed he didn't care as he just stared at the pinkette, waiting for an answer.

"Uh, me! Duh!"

Kihyun teasingly pushed at Minhyuk's head. "Shush, Minhyuk." He booped his friend's nose, it scrunching up in response. "You're right, though." His attention turned away from the male on his lap--who was looking oh so smug--and instead focused on the one he desperately wanted to be able to feel nothing romantic towards.

Honestly, he didn't understand why the male had to zone in on him when there were other fun people to talk to just lying around--literally. He wished Changkyun would focus on someone else, something else, anything, but in that moment, he was looking solely at Kihyun.

The pinkette had no other choice but to act as if he were fine.

"He is my closest friend. Hyungwon and Hoseok are also very close to me, but Minhyuk is just... No one could ever replace him." He sent a gentle smile his best friend's way before peering up at the bright blue sky above. It was a beautiful sky, almost as beautiful as the one he had seen yesterday, but there was just something about it that had him smiling wistfully.

"Hey, uhm, Kihyun?"

The male's attention was torn away from whatever it was that had him so focused as Minhyuk's voice suddenly rang in his ears. He looked down, and the unexpected sadness and disappointment held within his friend's hazelnut eyes left him in a state of shock. Hadn't the younger been happy only minutes, even seconds, before?