SEVENTEEN

FIRST YOU GET HURT

FIRST YOU GET HURT

"HAVE YOU lived in the neighborhood long?" Campbell asks a man standing in the front yard. 

After the boys went to speak with Max, the Winchesters decided it would be best if they went and combed through the Millers' old neighborhood. They now stood talking to a man as he raked leaves into large piles.

"Yep, around 20 years or so," he smiles, "why, you looking to buy?"

"No, no actually we were wondering if you could recall a family that used to live here," Sam speaks, "right across the street, I believe. The Millers. They had a little boy named Max."

"Yeah, I remember them," the man's expression soon drops at the mention of the Miller family. "The brother had the place next door." Campbell and Dean turn to look over at the houses. "What's this about? That poor boy okay?" 

"What do you mean?" Campbell asks.

"Well in my life, I've never seen a child treated like that. I mean, I'd hear Mr. Miller yelling and throwing things clear across the street. He was a mean drunk."

Dean shifts uncomfortably, in fact, all three Winchester children do. It sounds a little too familiar...

"He used to beat the tar out of Max," the man continues, "broke his arm two times that I know of."

"And this was happening regularly?" Campbell questions in astonishment. 

"Practically every day," he sighed, "In fact, that thug brother of his was just as likely to take a swing at the boy. But the worst part was the stepmother. She'd just stand there, checked out. Never lifted a finger to protect him. I must've called the police seven or eight times. Never did any good..."

"You said 'stepmother'?" Sam butts in.

"I think his real mother died, some sort of accident -- a car accident, I think... hey, you okay there?" The man points in Sam's general direction. He's gripping the bridge of his nose again and his eyes are clenched shut. 

"Uh, yeah, uh" Sam tries to wave it off, but Campbell knows where this is going. 

"Thank you for your time, sir, we really appreciate it," she flashes him that killer smile before she and Dean move Sam quickly to the car. Sam stumbles a bit, "Hey, hey, you good?"

"Yes, I-" Sam stops mid-sentence and stares off into the distance. 

"Sam... hey! Earth to Sammy!" 

"Max is doing it," Sam states as they cruise down the streets of the tiny town. 

"You're sure?" Dean asks as he switches his attention to Sam and then back to the road.

"Yeah, I saw him. Everything. It's been him."