He said cancel everything, and like a fool you never see what's happening

Tw: Mentioned past abuse, minor physical violence

Remus was sitting in the living room. The tv was off and he had a smile on his lips because of all the cat pics Remy had sent him. They had been texting for a while now but there was always something new to say it seemed.

The duke was so nervous about talking about the usual stuff he liked but his friend had even told him they thought he sounded weird without his gross facts. It made his heart warm as he carefully told them all the things he'd been waiting to say but had been too afraid to mention around Patton.

Right when he was about to send a message about an underground cult in Russia his boyfriend's voice interrupted him when he called "Honeypie please get over here"

Remus quickly sent another text about being back soon before putting his phone in his pocket and walking into the kitchen. Of course he didn't ask why he'd been called over, he stayed quiet like he was supposed to.

"Who were you talking to?" Patton asked with a sweet tone while holding a knife.

It was too chop vegetables for dinner of course. There stood a pot filled with boiling hot water on the stove that was supposed to get filled with pasta soon.

"Remy" He responded while taking a piece of carrot and throwing it down his slippery gullet. He actually enjoyed the hacking stuff up part of cooking but he didn't want to make Patton mad by asking if he could take the knife.

"You've been talking for almost 2 hours dear" Patton put the knife down and opened his hand "Give me your phone"

"What?" He scoffed "Why?"

"So I can read through the messages silly" He replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Remus took a step back "What no? These are my private messages I don't want you reading them. That's kind of as weird as turning a fish inside out and then eating out" 

"Oh so you're hiding something from me" Patton's eyes got cold as he said it "We've been together for less than half a year and you're already getting tired of me"

"I'm allowed to have my privacy even if we're together!"

Before Patton could respond the scream of horror that Remus had as his notification signal went off.

"Go on check what it is" Patton said when he noticed that the other hesitated.

It was from Remy again. It was a screenshot of a theory about a cartoon secretly being super dark and gory. There was a text about how they'd seen it while scrolling on social media and it reminded them of him with a small black heart next to it. A platonic heart okay.

"Can I see?" He asked with a nice smile even though his voice was harsh.

Remus gulped before responding with "No" It was more about showing his boyfriend he didn't control him rather than not wanting to show the messages.

"Why are you so frustrating!" Patton exclaimed while slamming his hands down into the counter.

Remus jumped back as his heart beat faster. It was the first time he'd seen his boyfriend get angry. It was only a few seconds afterwards he felt the pain. He looked down at his right arm realizing the boiling water had splashed onto him. His skin seemed to be sizzling off leaving red spots behind.

"Oh dear" Patton gasped "That isn't good. Cold water usually help burns"

He grabbed Remus' wrist and forced him with him into the bathroom. The duke tried to inspect the burns with a curious smile while the other man filled the tub with cold water. He grabbed his wrist once more and forced it down into the cold water making him shriek from the shock.