#3- The Orphan Shack

Helena's 3rd POVThe Baudelaires have been in many miserable living areas before

Helena's 3rd POV
The Baudelaires have been in many miserable living areas before. In all of these places, they had a real bed, even if they had to share it.

This was not the case in the orphan shack. Three haystacks. That was all they got. And it was going to be split between 6 people.

If you looked down to the ground, you would see the crabs filtered around them. They had a blueish tint to them, as if the color had been spray painted on.

If you would've moved your eyes up, you would see a mysterious green fungi growing from the ceiling.

All in all, it was hideous.

Klaus POV

We are going to live here. Is this even legal? Most likely not. I mean, the lumber mill wasn't but it did have a bed.

Is this better than nothing?

Duncan and Quigley were sitting on one hay stack on the left. I was afraid to let Sunny in since the crabs could more easily get to her so I picked her up . I took a seat on one of the haystacks, the one on the right, with Sunny.

Violet and Isadora sat together on the middle one.

Isadora didn't seem to be a bad person. I mean, she has a sense of humor and was very kind to us. What else could you need? Once we had all settled in, or as much as we could in a fungi filled shack, she broke the ice.

"So, Duncan and Quigley, this is Klaus, Sunny, and Violet."

Violet and I hadn't socialized with kids are age in what seemed like a very long time. We had only seemed to focus on trying to build bonds with our new guardians, which were all adults.

For once, this change didn't seem to bad. Except for the fact that the boys kept on staring at Violet. It's kind of creepy.

"Uurhm," I awkwardly started. "How did you guys sleep in here?"

Wow Klaus. You're just SO good at interacting with people. I guess it's a decent question but why would I use that to 'break the ice'?

Quigley POV
When I first used Isadora's commonplace notebook to hit Duncan, I did it because I liked Violet and she seemed to be liking him more. Sure, we all just met, but first impressions are important.

Klaus has just asked about the sleeping arrangements. I had been wondering the same thing. I could sleep with Violet. NO not like that, that's disgusting.

It's disgusting since other people would be there, including a baby.

"We normally each had a haystack to ourselves but that's not really an option now." I pause to catch my breath. "Not that you guys are doing anything wrong. It's just...new?"

Why'd my voice have to raise like that!

"We can't do that now, which is fine. But I think Klaus meant who will be with who." Duncan said.